cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 93180ycfx native fc support

Skevich17
Level 1
Level 1

Hi! I'm new to nexus and dc. Does nexus 9k has a native fc support? I need to connect it to couple of 3par storages and 2 servers. If it doesn't, can I connect it with FCoE and fc sfps?

Thanks in advance! 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sergiu.Daniluk
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @Skevich17 

Here is a table with Nexus 9000 models and what feature they support (FC, FCoE etc):

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus9000/sw/93x/fcoe/configuration/guide/b-cisco-nexus-9000-nx-os-fcoe-npv-configuration-guide-933/m-n9000-fc-npv-fcoe-npv-supported-hardware.html 

As listed, only N9K-C93180YC-FX and N9K-C93360YC-FX2 are the only 2 N9K supporting native FC.

For more details about FC/FCoE configuration, guidelines, licensing etc, I would suggest this config guide:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus9000/sw/93x/san_switching/configuration/guide/b-cisco-nexus-9000-nx-os-san-switching-configuration-guide-933/m-n9000-san-s-enabling-feature-fcoe.html 

Stay safe,

Sergiu

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Sergiu.Daniluk
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @Skevich17 

Here is a table with Nexus 9000 models and what feature they support (FC, FCoE etc):

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus9000/sw/93x/fcoe/configuration/guide/b-cisco-nexus-9000-nx-os-fcoe-npv-configuration-guide-933/m-n9000-fc-npv-fcoe-npv-supported-hardware.html 

As listed, only N9K-C93180YC-FX and N9K-C93360YC-FX2 are the only 2 N9K supporting native FC.

For more details about FC/FCoE configuration, guidelines, licensing etc, I would suggest this config guide:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus9000/sw/93x/san_switching/configuration/guide/b-cisco-nexus-9000-nx-os-san-switching-configuration-guide-933/m-n9000-san-s-enabling-feature-fcoe.html 

Stay safe,

Sergiu

Thank you very much! 

Another question. I need to configure 2 nexus 93180ycfx switches as my new core-disr switches for LAN. I want to configure it with VPC+HSRP, but in all guidelines it is said, I need to configure one set of vlans to downstream switches, which are connected with vpc, and for orphan ports I need to configure another set of vlans, prune it from peer-link and make separate trunk link only for this vlans. In our design we need some vlans to go to both: switches, that are connected through vpc, and to switches, that are connected with orphan ports. Wont I have any problems if I configure it like this? And is this a problem if some vlans will go through different VPCs?

...but in all guidelines it is said, I need to configure one set of vlans to downstream switches, which are connected with vpc, and for orphan ports I need to configure another set of vlans, prune it from peer-link and make separate trunk link only for this vlans.

Mmmm yes and no. I mean, it is definitely not mandatory to do this. It might be suitable for specific scenarios/designs to have dedicated trunk for non-vpc vlans (vlans not configured on vPC enabled port-channels), however, vPC is quite versatile and has a lot of features which help orphan connections. So generally speaking, you can allow all vlans over the vPC peer-link without an issue. I would suggest to read the following vPC design guide: https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/design/vpc_design/vpc_best_practices_design_guide.pdf  It is written for nexus 7000, but the concepts apply to all Nexus platforms, and is probably the most complete and well explained vPC guide out there.

Once you finish it (it is one afternoon of reading) I am 100% positive you will find the most suitable design for your scenario.

If not, and if some things remains unclear, please do not hesitate to come back here and ask questions :-)

Regarding your specific question (connecting switches using non-vpc), I am not sure why you would not want to connect the switches to the vPC. In the end, you have redundancy, all links are utilized (no STP blocking ports) and you do not have to worry about vpc failure scenarios.  In the end you only need to configure the ports in a port-channel (even as static if LACP is not an option).

Stay safe,

Sergiu

Thank you very much! Very good guide!! I have 2 more questions for you :)

1)I am making 2nexus core and 2 nexus DC design. I want to connect them with with double-sided VPC. But I have a lack of QSFPS, so I can use QSFPs only in peer-links, or I can use them only as VPC-links DC to CORE connection. I connected all access devices to core with VPC, so in this design VPC should handle only CFS traffic ( correct me, if im wrong). Is it better to use QSFPs in DC to CORE interconnection and use 10g sfps for VPC peer-link? 

2) I don't have single mode sfps and QSFPs now, but when I will have it, I want to split my core between 2 buildings ( one nexus in one building, one nexus in another ). Is it possible to split DC in 2 buildings or maybe make another one in second building and connect them somehow to achieve HA?