Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 9364C Switch for server farm?

RAM_81
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, 

I have pretty old experience with Cisco Switches dated back to pre-nexus era (was working on Catalyst 6500). I have "seen" Nexus 7K, 5K & 2K implemented in my company's data center but that was after i left the network team however I was still in IT so i am kind of knowledgeable of the whole concept of spine and leaf and how Nexus is made for data centers.

What I miss is the true technical configuration stuff and the detailed differences between the new nexus switches and what value they present.

Background story over, our consultant is proposing Nexus 9364C switches (two) for the data center for redundancy. We have a 20 cabinets in the new DC with two top of rack switches in each cabinet (Nexus N9K-C93180YC-EX-24) and (N9K-C93108TC-EX-24) with one physical cable (40Gbps uplink) from each top of rack switch to each server farm 9364C switch.

My questions are:

1- Is the proposed server farm 9364C good? i'm a bit hesitant seeing no physical UTPs and not being a modular switch (i'm just used to working with modular switches for server farms and cores... maybe just me but would love to hear from the community if this is now being normal with the new nexus switches released)

2- Proposed Core switches (2 qty) are Catalyst C9606R, any concerns about it?

3- Due to lack of UTP ports on the Server Farms, I'm planning to add some 48 ports catalysts to act as management port switches for the servers and appliances around the data center. Any specific switch comes to mind recommended to be used for consolidating the management ports? Considering we will have UTP patch panels from all cabinets consolidated down to one cabinet near the server farm cabinets and that will be used as uplinks for all management ports to reach the management switch.

Thanks in advance.

1 Reply 1

Jerome Tissieres
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hello,

Since you already have Nexus ToR switches and you are in a data-center environment, I would stay with Nexus and avoid the Catalyst/Nexus mix, mostly for operational reasons.

Regarding the lack of UTP ports, I think you should look at the Fabric Extender (FEX) option. FEX are supported on your N9K-C93180YC-EX and N9K-C93108TC-EX: https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/Website/datacenter/fexmatrix/fexmatrix.html

You could connect some N9K-C93180YC-FX3 or N9K-C93180YC-FX3S in FEX mode to your ToR. Or even N9K-C93108TC-FX3P if you need PoE.

I hope it helps.

Best,

Jerome