cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 9k for VxRail

Arshad Safrulla
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

HI, I have to prepare a set of Nexus 9k Switches for a VxRail deployment.

Can you guys guide me on what basic things we have to take care?

As per the information I have Dell & EMC teams there shouldn't be any VPC or port-channels. Also their requirement is to have trunk ports towards servers with portfast enabled.

Servers came with 4x10GB ports. I want to understand how the STP will come into play and what multicast configuration required for this. 

Also does Nexus support MLD snooping? If someone can point me to sample port config where the servers are connected it would be a great help

6 Replies 6

Remi Astruc
Level 1
Level 1

Hello @Arshad Safrulla ,

There are different options, but yes, VxRail 10G switch ports are usually configured as individual without any aggregation feature. The Hypervisor in the Host manages the pinning of a VM to an interface or another, and the failover in case of issue. The N9K just learns MACs location.

The VxRail does not participate in STP as it does not transit-switch between its 10G ports. Setting N9K ports as Portfast will ensure fast transition to forwarding state, like with any other server ports.

The default IGMP or MLD snooping will handle L2 Multicast as expected.

Remi Astruc

We have deployed this in our ACI infra and its working well and good.
Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

Hi @deepakbalan ,

Would be able to share how you have integrated VxRail in your ACI fabric? Do you currently have VMM integration and if so, how does that play with the VxRail solution?

Would you be able to share how you have integrated VxRail in your ACI fabric? Do you currently have VMM integration and if so, how does that play with the VxRail solution?

kindly also share any useful link for integrating VxRail in ACI fabric.

@deepakbalan  

Would also like to hear more about your experience with this.

Robert

iam facing same issue and not able to enable MLD.My setup is we have vlan trunked to all nodes thus where to enable MLD

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: