Helpful
Replies

Nexus 9k to 2k Fex

nagasheshu.2014
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have a set up such as below

Nexus 9K to 2K fex (two physical connections) between them in a port channel, please see config below.

There is problem on the ethernet1/5 connection, that the fex end port side either SFP or cable or QSA adaptor or the fex port is faulty.

I want to change port at 2K FEX. 

My question is  how would this impact FEX? Does Fex go down in total? or Just the clients sending traffic over this FEX link will be affected? or how it is please?

interface Ethernet1/5
description FEX103
switchport mode fex-fabric
fex associate 103
channel-group 103

interface Ethernet1/6
description FEX103
switchport mode fex-fabric
fex associate 103
channel-group 103

thanks in advance

Nagasheshu.

6 Replies 6

shaps
Level 3
Level 3
If you shut down the port channel, this will take the FEX offline, you can then troubleshoot the physical issues, if need do this during a maintenance window. I guess it depends on how much of an impact you are seeing now.

Thanks Shaps for responding.

I actually dont want to shutdown port channel and we want to try and avoid total fex down situation.

If i just disturb a single physical interface of a fex port channel (with two active physical interfaces), does it make fex/2k go down or flap at least?

Hope my question make sense?

Thanks again!!

If your only taking down one member of the port channel, the fex will remain active, although I would carry this out in a window to make sure there is no traffic impact to make sure.

nagasheshu.2014
Level 1
Level 1

Can someone help me please.

Hello Nagasheshu,

You can proceed to disconnect and reconfigure another interface for the fex, it should not be problem. Recommended to do it in a maintenance window as already recommended before, this is a port channel the other interface on the other N9K will carry on with the traffic.

Please rate all helpful posts,

Regards,

David Castro,

I believe you want to swap a physical port on Fex.

From your snippet, it appears to be single-homed FEX connected to a parent N9K switch on Eth 1/5 & Eth 1/6 and vpc 103.

You can shut down the Eth 1/5 port to avoid any packet drops.

You still have Eth 1/6 active in Port-channel 103 which will continue to forward traffic.

You can swap the port on Fex and no Shut Eth 1/5.

This is a non-disruptive method to swap a port.

It is always recommended to perform such tasks in a maintenance window.

Hope it answers your question.

Thanks