cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus and ospfv3 does NOT support address family ipv4 what the heck?

f00z
Level 1
Level 1

I have a network running ospfv3 with ipv4 address family for many years with a combination of IOS and XR and Juniper and Arista devices and I tried to add a nexus 9k to it and there's no address-family ipv4 in ospfv3.. what in the heck? Am I missing something or is it not there? If it's not there that would be the most absolutely ridiculous thing I ever hear of Cisco doing.   Even my old 6509's are running ospfv3 with ipv4 family and i'm trying to replace some of those with nexus 9k and this is like a punch in the face. I hope I'm missing something and it really is there somewhere.

3 Replies 3

Sergiu.Daniluk
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @f00z 

Yep, Nexus (NXOS or ACI) only supports IPv6 in OSPFv3. That's probably because you can simply use OSPFv2 for IPv4.

Stay safe,

Sergiu

f00z
Level 1
Level 1

That is.. absolutely ridiculous considering every other Cisco platform supports it and other vendors as well and I have whole networks using it and simply wanted to add a nexus into it and can't.  Very disappointing.

I agree. It should be there. As far as I see, it might be simply an "inheritance" problem from Nexus 7k, (and maybe not a lot of demand for it?). But since you have a strong business case, this might be a good opportunity for an enhancement request. I encourage you to talk with your local cisco representatives and request for this feature.

Thanks,

Sergiu

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: