Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus N77K with F3-348XP-23 line card VDC Port Allocation

daemibros
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Team, 

I have never had to assign more than 16 ports to one VDC and some of the old cards did not have certain restrictions.  I seemed to be getting conflicting information from different documents. IN my current scenario, I need at least 24 ports in one vdc 

On the F3-348XP-23 line card, installed on a N7706

1. Can i assign port p1 to 24 in one VDC and p25 to 40 in a different VDC regardless of the port allocations in the link below which has this diagram. 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus7000/sw/vdc/config/cisco_nexus7000_vdc_config_guide_8x/managing-vdc.html

Correct me if am wrong, My understanding of information in the above link is i am limited to just 16 ports (1-8 & 33-40)  or (25-32 and 41 to 48), Is this the case?

2. Being that i want to use MACSEC for the two separate VDCs, Are there any restrictions in splitting the ports 41 to 48 between the two VDC say 41 to 44 in one VDC and 45 to 48 in second VDC? 

Any extra documentation to help clarify will very appreciated. 

Thanks 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Christopher Hart
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello!

The N77-F348XP-23 line card has a total of 48 10G ports broken up into 6 groups of 8 ports each. Each port-group can be assigned to an individual VDC - however, the entire port-group must be assigned to a VDC.

For example, let's say you have an N77-F348XP-23 line card inserted in slot 1 of a N77 chassis. Eth1/1-8 belong to a single port-group. You cannot allocate Eth1/1-4 to VDC 1, then allocate Eth1/5-8 to VDC 2. All eight ports would need to be allocated to VDC 1.

There are no restrictions surrounding the quantity of port-groups in a line card that can be allocated to a single VDC. All six port-groups can be allocated to a single VDC, or all six port-groups can each be assigned to an individual VDC (assuming you have the necessary licensing to create six unique VDCs, of course!) The diagram you linked is simply demonstrating how multiple discontiguous port-groups can be allocated to a single individual VDC (in this case, VDCs 1 and 4) - it does not imply any limitation regarding the maximum number of ports per line card that can be allocated to any individual VDC.

I hope this helps!

-Christopher

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Christopher Hart
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello!

The N77-F348XP-23 line card has a total of 48 10G ports broken up into 6 groups of 8 ports each. Each port-group can be assigned to an individual VDC - however, the entire port-group must be assigned to a VDC.

For example, let's say you have an N77-F348XP-23 line card inserted in slot 1 of a N77 chassis. Eth1/1-8 belong to a single port-group. You cannot allocate Eth1/1-4 to VDC 1, then allocate Eth1/5-8 to VDC 2. All eight ports would need to be allocated to VDC 1.

There are no restrictions surrounding the quantity of port-groups in a line card that can be allocated to a single VDC. All six port-groups can be allocated to a single VDC, or all six port-groups can each be assigned to an individual VDC (assuming you have the necessary licensing to create six unique VDCs, of course!) The diagram you linked is simply demonstrating how multiple discontiguous port-groups can be allocated to a single individual VDC (in this case, VDCs 1 and 4) - it does not imply any limitation regarding the maximum number of ports per line card that can be allocated to any individual VDC.

I hope this helps!

-Christopher

So I guess its a no brainer that since the last 8 ports are in one group, they can only be assigned to one VDC. So what I eventually did was use those ports in a VDC where I needed to run LinkSec.

Thanks 

Thanks Christopher Hart. Really appreciate it.