cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Not able to ping SVI of other vlans

svadmin
Level 1
Level 1

I have a new Catalyst 9410 switch that I am trying to configure to setup as an access switch.

I have it set up the SVI on vlan 255 and assigned it an IP address.  I have the default gateway set up as well and I am able to ping any switch on that vlan.

I have the switch connected to a 2960 switch over trunk port to allow the vlans 145 and 255.

When I ping the default gateway of vlan 145 it fails but anything on vlan 255 will pass

from the 2960 switch I can ping the default gateway for valn 145

can someone help with this please 

5 Replies 5

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can you post both the switches full configuration.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Felipe A. Amaya
Level 1
Level 1

Just a couple of things to check.

1. You mentioned that you have both 145 and 255 on the trunk port.  

Make sure that you have the VLANs on both ends on the 2960 and 9400 trunk ports

2. You created an SVI and assigned it an IP address.

If IP routing is enable on the 9400 check to see if you have a default route (ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 (ip of next hope)

3. If you do not have IP routing enable

Check your default gateway.

4. other simple things make sure your L2 VLANs are created.  

Does the 2960 have the SVI for 145 and an SVI for 255?

1. You mentioned that you have both 145 and 255 on the trunk port.  

Make sure that you have the VLANs on both ends on the 2960 and 9400 trunk ports

YES, I made sure both vlans are on the trunks on both switches.

2. You created an SVI and assigned it an IP address.

If IP routing is enable on the 9400 check to see if you have a default route (ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 (ip of next hope)

I enabled routing but this is a layer 2 switch and there is no default route setup 

3. If you do not have IP routing enable

Check your default gateway.  My default gateway is set up.  I am able to ping anything in the vlan 255

4. other simple things make sure your L2 VLANs are created.  Made sure this is created

Does the 2960 have the SVI for 145 and an SVI for 255?  I only have one SVI for 255 

Configuration of both switches will help

Sorry I can't post config

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: