cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NX-OS serial console prompt/hostname 7004

sp2720401
Level 1
Level 1

I have a nexus that when I log into the console it has a completely different hostname than what is set in the config. Where is this configuration stored or modifiable.

Initially the prompt says TO-N7K:

After I log in it says the actual hostname as the prompt. It is the only 7K out of 10 that is doing this. In every other switch the initial console login prompt is the hostname.

10 Replies 10

Sergiu.Daniluk
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Are you connecting on the console of the active supervisor or standby?

Sergiu

sp2720401
Level 1
Level 1

The active supervisor. The Standby prompt is "TO-N7K(standby) login:"

This is driving me bonkers. I do not see it anywhere in the configuration.

It could be possible that the configuration is not saved.If you save the config (copy run start), do you see any errors?

Yes, it has been saved. Copy completes 100%.

Christopher Hart
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello!

A few questions:

1. Do you only see this issue when accessing the switch via the console port? Or is this issue observed when accessing the switch via SSH as well?
  2. Is this switch divided into multiple VDCs?
  3. Can you log your console session and provide the output demonstrating the issue, as well as the output of the following commands?
terminal width 511
show module
show hostname
show vdc
show running-config vdc

Thank you!

-Christopher

1) This only happens with the console port. SSH shows the correct hostname.

2) Yes there are 3 VDCs configured

Capture(1).PNG

Hello!

Does the output of show running-config vdc-all all | include TO-N7K display anything meaningful? How long have you observed this issue? Do you know if this issue persists through a reload of the switch or a supervisor switchover?

Thank you!

-Christopher

The issue has been around since I have been working with this company OCT-2019. The switch was last rebooted in June. I thought a reboot would have cleared it as well.

"show running-config vdc-all all | include TO-N7K" returns nothing.

I figure it is something from either the shell or a system environment variable in the loader or an earlier prompt that was set by someone a long time ago. I just have no idea where to clear it.

Could it be Putty which is doing this? It looks like "TO-N7K" is the name you assigned to your console connection or something inside the Putty.

Try changing the name of it in putty and see if it changes also when you access the console.

Screenshot 2021-08-03 132511.png

Cheers,

Sergiu

Here is a picture of me accessing it through guacamole. I even logged out and back in.  It isn't external to the system.

Capturefdfdf(1).PNG

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: