Views
Helpful
Replies

OpenFlow and NetFlow on Nexus 31108PC-V

19782401a
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I would like to have more information about NetFlow and OpenFlow application on Nexus 31108PC-V platform.

In my scenario I have a Nexus 31108PC-V with  release 7.0(3)I4(3) and base license, I can see the feature NetFlow in "show feature" output:

SW-N3K-2# show feature
Feature Name Instance State
-------------------- -------- --------
netflow 1 disabled

but I can't enable it bicause in configuration mode this feature is not available:

SW-N3K-2(config)# feature n?
ntp Enable/Disable NTP
nv Enable/Disable VxLAN
nxapi Enable/Disable nxapi

Instead, OpenFlow seems a feature not available.

Could be a license restriction?If yes, which license is needed? What else?

Thanks in advance.

Best regard

Gian Luca

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Peter,

I know that NetFlow and OpenFlow are two different feature and there aren't relation between the two.

If is better I open a discussion dedicated to OpenFlow.

Thanks

Gian Luca

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Gian Luca,

Unfortunately, the 31108PCV switch does not support NetFlow. The fact you saw the NetFlow feature printed out in the show feature is in fact a cosmetic defect only; that feature should not have been listed there at all. The 7.0(3)I7(5) does not report this feature anymore:

N3K2(config)# show ver | i NXOS|Chassis
  NXOS: version 7.0(3)I7(5)
  NXOS image file is: bootflash:///nxos.7.0.3.I7.5.bin
  NXOS compile time:  8/28/2018 2:00:00 [08/28/2018 09:51:46]
  cisco Nexus  31108PCV Chassis (Nexus 9000 Series) 
N3K2(config)# show feature | i flow
openflow               1          disabled
sflow                  1          enabled 
N3K2(config)# feature n?
  nat      Enable/Disable NAT
  netconf  Enable/Disable netconf Services
  ngoam    Enable/Disable ngoam
  ntp      Enable/Disable NTP
  nv       Enable/Disable VxLAN
  nxapi    Enable/Disable nxapi
  nxsdk    Enable/Disable nxsdk Services

I am sorry to disappoint you; you will not be able to start NetFlow on this platform (in fact, no N3K platform currently supports it).

OpenFlow is an entirely different and unrelated mechanism; it is not used for traffic statistics collection but rather to control traffic forwarding entries in the hardware. We should not talk about OpenFlow in relation to NetFlow at all; these two are entirely different things.

Best regards,
Peter

Hi Peter,

I know that NetFlow and OpenFlow are two different feature and there aren't relation between the two.

If is better I open a discussion dedicated to OpenFlow.

Thanks

Gian Luca

Hello Gian Luca,

My apologies - since you have been talking about the two unrelated features in the same thread, and did not really clarify what exactly are you focusing on with the OpenFlow, I was not sure if you were confusing the two. I apologize - I meant no offense.

Maybe it would be better to open another thread just for the OpenFlow issue you are looking at.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Peter

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: