Views
Helpful
Replies

OTV with FabricPath implementation.

Subhasis.Dutta
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have two DC running individually on fabricpath. Now as per new requirement we want to run VMotion between cross DC's and span same L2 network on both DC's using OTV to create new OTV VDC in nexus 7K's "On a Stick" mode which does not required any design change. But i am not sure if Fabricpath and OTV work together as Fabric path have a different layer 2 protocol than OTV. Also, how fabric path packet travel over classical Ethernet environment between 7K Spine and OTV VDC. I have attached current design and OTV VDC planning. Please suggest.  Thank you.

Current design.png

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi @Subhasis.Dutta,

You should have your OTV Edge's Internal interface (the N7K OTV VDC) connected to Fabric Path's Leaf Switches. That way, the OTV Edge receives a normalized Ethernet frame.

I do not think you can make OTV work by advertising/forwarding Fabric Path frames.

OTV expects Classical Ethernet frames.

I hope this helps.

Cheers.

View solution in original post

Hi @Subhasis.Dutta,

The OTV Edge internal interface needs to receive the frame as Classical Ethernet (CE).

If you are going to connect the OTV Edge internal interface to the Fabric Path's Spine Switch, you need to properly configure this Fabric Path Spine Switch to pretty much behave like any Leaf Switch in order to remove the Fabric Path headers from the frame and send just a normalized CE frame to the OTV Edge internal interface.

I hope this helps.

Regards.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hi @Subhasis.Dutta,

You should have your OTV Edge's Internal interface (the N7K OTV VDC) connected to Fabric Path's Leaf Switches. That way, the OTV Edge receives a normalized Ethernet frame.

I do not think you can make OTV work by advertising/forwarding Fabric Path frames.

OTV expects Classical Ethernet frames.

I hope this helps.

Cheers.

Hi Hector,

Thank you so much for your valuable suggestion. However, i have one small doubt Could you please help me to understand. When packet travel from

DC1_Host (Vlan 200)-->DC1_5k--(fabric Path)-->DC1_7K Spine VDC--Classical Ethernet-->DC1_7K OTV VDC --> DC2_7K OTV VDC --Classical Ethernet-->DC2_7K Spine VDC --(fabric Path)-->DC2_5k-->DC2_Host(Vlan 200)

In this path when packet travel from 7K spine VDC to 7K OTV VDC will fabricpath packet change to classical Ethernet  packet or it will remain same as fabricpath packet until it got reach to destination leaf for converting as classical Ethernet  packet.

Thank you.

Hi @Subhasis.Dutta,

The OTV Edge internal interface needs to receive the frame as Classical Ethernet (CE).

If you are going to connect the OTV Edge internal interface to the Fabric Path's Spine Switch, you need to properly configure this Fabric Path Spine Switch to pretty much behave like any Leaf Switch in order to remove the Fabric Path headers from the frame and send just a normalized CE frame to the OTV Edge internal interface.

I hope this helps.

Regards.

Thank you Hector for your valuable suggestion and help. Now it is clear to me. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: