cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ping Loss during vrrpv3 failover between two Nexus 9K

Don Maker
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I am curious about how much ping loss (if any) should be observed when a SVI configured on one nexus fails and vrrpv3 fails over? I am currently seeing about 4-5 packets lost during this process and I would like to see feedback on whether this is to be expected or if it can be mitigated somehow.

The topology is two Nexus 9000 in a vpc domain. I can bring down physical links during testing and maybe one time I might lose one packet, but even then it's not 100% consistent. I can down the Po for the peer-link and not lose any pings either. Sometimes the uplink Po to our distribution VSS will drop a couple when that Po is being rebuilt as well.

I have configured a small /28 for testing. Each 9k has an SVI configured and I am using vrrpv3. If I bring down the SVI for the current vrrpv3 master, I will see 4-5 pings lost when it fails over to the Backup vrrpv3. Is this normal? Is this to be expected?

The ping target that I have been using during testing is the vrrpv3 address, not either of the SVI addresses.

0 Replies 0

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card