cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Port Channel & Dell PC6248

ttroutindy
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone here have experience in creating a port channel with the upstream switch being a Dell PowerConnect 6248? Do I just create a LAG on the 6248? Do I turn LACP on or off? Is there anything special I need to do with the port-channel config because i'm going to a non-cisco switch?

Thank you,

Travis

8 Replies 8

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You'll need to consult your Dell documentation.

The 1000v supports etherchannel modes "on" and "active" (LACP).  Depending on which version of VSM/VEM you're running, I'd recommend creating a LAG using LACP on the Dell 6248.   From memory LAG = Link Aggregation Group.

If you're running version 4.0.4.SV1.2 I'd recommend using mac-pinning on all your Uplink port profiles, then you don't need to create any LAGs on your upstream 6248.  The only configuration you'd need to ensure each 6248 port connecting to your Uplinks is in VLAN trunking mode.

Regards,

Robert

I am running 4.0.4.SV1.2. So I just need to figure out the mac-pinning. Does that allow for load balancing in both directions?

Thank you,

Travis

nenduri
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Travis,

N1K supports both static and LACP port channels. If the N1K VEM is connected two Dell PC6248, you need to configure vPC-HM on N1K. If you have more than one link going to each PC6248 you have to configure static port channel (ON mode channel) on upstream switch.

If the N1K VEM is connected to a single upstream switch, you can either configure regular ON mode or LACP channel on N1K. Do the similar configuration on upstream switch.

thanks,

Naren

I do have 2 6248s, however they are stacked. So, I'm assuming it's looked at as one switch and two, correct?

Thank you,

Travis

Mac-pinning is set on your Uplink Profile:

"channel-group auto mode on mac-pinning".  It will "pin" a virtual interface to a particular uplink in a round robin fashion.  It will disperse the virtual interface equally but this doesn't provide any traffic balancing.  For that you'd need to use an LACP port channel.  If both your switches are stacked they would appear a single switch to the N1K.   In this case you could create an LACP port channel instead on each side.  If the switches were not stacked you would use a VPC as Naren has pointed out.

Please refer to the attachment for "choosing" your Port channel types.

Regards,

Robert

ttroutindy
Level 1
Level 1

Ok, so the mac-pinning worked perfectly. I am going to be upgrading the firmware on my 6248s that will give me 18 LAGs(Currently get 8 and I have 2 available). Once, I have that setup I will go ahead and setup a LAG for each port-channel. I'm still curious to see if I still need to setup vPC Host Mode (vPC-HM) if the upstream switches are stacked.

Thank you,

Travis

With Mac-pinning you do NOT need to create LAGs on the 6148's.  vPC-HM is ONLY needed when there are multiple upstream switches that are not stacked.

Robert

Thank you, that answers my questions.

-- Travis

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: