Views
Helpful
Replies

port profiles - same vlans on more than 1 port profile

andoni-sta
Level 1
Level 1

hi all,

just a quick question, apologies in advance for its' stupidity. i'm from a server background and not a networking background. I have implemented a Nexus 1000v evaluation on a server and need to get my head round port groups and uplinks etc.

i have the system-uplink and the vm-uplink and i understand what they do. i'm just unsure as to how the port profiles (non-uplink, the ones that show as vlans which you apply to the VM VNICs) map to them. I am guessing it is dependent on the VLANs that the uplinks are permitted to carry?

the system uplink (nic1) port profile carries the vlans 7, 240, 241 and 242, the vm-uplink (nic 2) carries vlan 242 only.

this is the config.

port-profile system-uplink
  capability uplink
  vmware port-group
  switchport mode trunk
  switchport trunk allowed vlan 7,240-242
  no shutdown
  system vlan 7,240-242
  state enabled

port-profile vm-uplink
  capability uplink
  vmware port-group
  switchport mode access
  switchport access vlan 242
  no shutdown
  state enabled
port-profile data242
  vmware port-group
  switchport mode access
  switchport access vlan 242
  no shutdown
  state enabled
port-profile service.console
  vmware port-group
  switchport mode access
  switchport access vlan 7
  no shutdown
  state enabled

i would like to make it so that if i configure the NIC setting on the Windows XP VM and i select data242 the traffic flows through the vm-uplink and not the system uplink. If i have duplicated vlans on these uplink port profiles, how do i know which uplink the VM is using?

sorry if this sounds like a dumb question!

Andoni

3 Replies 3

andoni-sta
Level 1
Level 1

it's ok i think i solved it.

i moved all devices using the port group to the vmware virtual switch and removed the physical nic from the port group. then i was able to reprogram the uplinks to contain the relevant VLANs.

added the nics back to the uplink and added the port groups again, all works fine.

Andoni,

Glad you figured it out.

Having the same VLAN defined on multiple uplink port-profiles is not a supported configuration with the N1KV. We don't have the ability in the current release to pin a VM to a specific uplink port-profile.

louis

hi louis

thanks for the information. makes sense really.

andoni