Helpful
Replies

Recommendations for core switch

VK20
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I need recommendations for core switch.

Should support ipv6, 96 1g ports, a good mac address table size?

I currently use 3850 and we are going from 5 racks to 18 racks so I need better core switch. 

I don't have a huge budget but $20k or something near that would work.

Thank you so much for help.

-VK

4 Replies 4

Sergiu.Daniluk
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @VK20 

96 1G ports, good mac address table.. that sounds more like an access layer switch.

Since you posted the question in DC thread, I will suggest a DC switch. And this is the Nexus 93216TC-FX2 with 96x 100M/1GE/10GE copper ports. I am not sure about the price, but I think you can check this with your local cisco team or a cisco partner.  Alternatively, have a look here: https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/switches/nexus-9000-series-switches/nexus-9300-10GbaseT-switches-comparison.html 

Scalability guide can be found here: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus9000/sw/93x/scalability/guide-933/b-Cisco_Nexus-9000-Series-NX-OS-Verified-Scalability-Guide-933.html  (search for FX2)

MAC address table limit: 92000

Regards,

Sergiu

Hello

@VK20 wrote:

Hello,

I need recommendations for core switch.

Should support ipv6, 96 1g ports, a good mac address table size?

I currently use 3850 and we are going from 5 racks to 18 racks so I need better core switch. 

Going from a 3850 platform  the next logical step would be the CAT9K's

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Cat9k is a viable option, but what's wrong with the 3850? They can be stacked, making 96 ports easily, support 32k mac addrs which is the same as the catalyst 9300 unless you get the extended scale one, and you are already familiar with it.

Depending on your requirements there are other options which I'm sure I'll get flamed for saying but an old 6500 or 4500 chassis device still works beautifully for 1g.

After little bit of searching around. I found 9300 with stack of 2 and this should fit my budget.

I am sorry if I posted this in the wrong branch.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: