cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Redundant Link Nexus Cores

joshwa
Level 1
Level 1

I currently have a network that connect the data center 01 to HQ 01 using 1 link with the the IPADDR scope of 10.10.254.0/24. I typically would think that this should be a point to point link /30 but that is why I am asking for a discussion. What is the best way to set up 2 links with redundancy from DC to HQ. DC is off perm and using lit fiber for both connections. I am running EIGRP currently, but would rather have static routes if possible. In the future the company is looking to move to OSPF.

DC = N5K

HQ = N9K

1 Reply 1

Jason Leschnik
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Howdy!

As long as you don't need L2 stretched VLANs then:

1. You could just go with 2 separate-routed L3 links with a /30 or /31 on each link
    1. Drawback here is that if a link goes down you have to wait for a re-convergence
    2. BFD could help with this, but your IGP could possibly need a recalc
  2. Another option if you have vPC on both sides (make sure both sites have a different vPC Domain ID and running "layer3 peer-router" on all switches) is to bundle both interfaces into an L2 port-channel with vPC and trunk a transit only VLAN between them only used for the L3
    1. You would have 4 SVIs in that transit VLAN on n5k1, n5k2, n9k1, n9k2
    2. The benefit here is that if a link goes down the IGP shouldn't notice a difference because it's a logical port-channel
    3. At the end of this you would have 3 adj. per switch over the transit DCI transit VLAN

Just a thought

Regards,

Jason.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: