Views
Helpful
Replies

Remote SPAN - Source Nexus 9300 (nx-os 9.3.3) Destination Catalyst 3750X

TONY SMITH
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi,

I'm trying to see if there's a way to SPAN a port on Nexus 9300 to a destination port on Catalyst 3750X.   I think I've reached a road block in that the Catalyst supports only RSPAN VLAN, while it seems that the Nexus only supports ERSPAN and can't even create a Remote Span VLAN.

Is that correct or am I missing something?   NX-OS documentation suggests it's possible, but I've seem community comments saying RSPAN isn't supported on the N9Ks.

Any workarounds possible?

Thanks,  Tony S

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi
You're not missing anything. Nexus doesn't sorry rspan but erspan instead. 3750x doesn't support erspan.
You can configure erspan on Nexus and put your wireshark machine ip as destination.
The advantage of erspan is that you can route this traffic across your network.

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi
You're not missing anything. Nexus doesn't sorry rspan but erspan instead. 3750x doesn't support erspan.
You can configure erspan on Nexus and put your wireshark machine ip as destination.
The advantage of erspan is that you can route this traffic across your network.

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

@Francesco Molino wrote:

That is the answer!  I just set it up and confirmed it's working. 

Glad you have it working!

Thanks
Francesco

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card