Views
Helpful
Replies

Removing the Switch-Profile from Nexus 5Ks

pat.mchenry
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I would like to remove the switch-profile from our Nexus 5Ks. Over the past couple of years so many hands have touched these switches. As a result, many of the configurations on FEX ports have been done in config t mode and any configuration changes we need to make to these ports require either buffer-deletes or resync-database. I really don't mind putting the interface config on both switches as a practice. It beats all these roadblocks I have been running into. In addition, if we decide to use the switch-profile feature again, we could always reconfigure it after we have all the configs matched up

That being said, I would like to understand if there are any issues I could run into running the "

no switch-profile PROFILE profile-only local" command?

Is the command disruptive? Specifically during the brief time period when one switch is still part of the switch-profile - before I have issued it on the other switch?

Are there any other issues anyone has come across after remove the switch-profile from a pair of 5Ks?

Thank you, Pat

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

akdhingr
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

The good old switch-profile has been nothing but annoying. 

You can use the command no switch-profile profile_name profile-only { all | local }.

This syntax will allow you to remove only the config sync profile itself; however, all commands it contained will still remain in the running-config, so there will be no disruption. The all keyword will cause the config sync profile to be removed from both peers; the local keyword will only remove the config sync profile from the local switch. Once again, however, the profile-only keyword will make sure that the active running-config will remain unchanged even if the config sync profile is removed.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

akdhingr
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

The good old switch-profile has been nothing but annoying. 

You can use the command no switch-profile profile_name profile-only { all | local }.

This syntax will allow you to remove only the config sync profile itself; however, all commands it contained will still remain in the running-config, so there will be no disruption. The all keyword will cause the config sync profile to be removed from both peers; the local keyword will only remove the config sync profile from the local switch. Once again, however, the profile-only keyword will make sure that the active running-config will remain unchanged even if the config sync profile is removed.

akdhingr,

Thanks for the response. So, if I were to use the all keyword when applying the command, I will be removing the switch-profile configuration on both switches, but the running config on both switches will remain?

If my plan to remove the switch-profile on both switches I might as well run the "all" keyword on the primary?

Thank you, Pat

Hello,

Yes, the running configuration will remain in place. It will only delete the switch-profile.

BR,

AK

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: