Views
Helpful
Replies

Routed ports with QSFP Breakout optics

ShaunGreen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi There,

We have two Nexus 5672's and are using 40G to 4 x 10G breakout twinax's.

We've managed to configure the breakout fine and have had trunk ports up and running.

I was trying to configure non-switched routed ports on one of the configured breakout connections.

This didn't work so I wondered whether it's not possible to have switched and non switched interfaces on the same breakout.
I tried just routed ports, but again, no joy...

VK05102-SWI-B01# sho int ether 2/1/1 capabilities
Ethernet2/1/1
Model: N5K-C5672UP-M6Q
Type (SFP capable): QSFP-4X10G-AOC3M
Speed: 1000,10000
Duplex: full
Trunk encap. type: 802.1Q
Channel: yes
Broadcast suppression: no
Flowcontrol: rx-(off/on),tx-(off/on)
Rate mode: none
QOS scheduling: rx-(6q1t),tx-(1p6q0t)
CoS rewrite: no
ToS rewrite: no
SPAN: yes
UDLD: yes
MDIX: no
Link Debounce: yes
Link Debounce Time: yes
dot1Q-tunnel mode: yes
Pvlan Trunk capable: yes
TDR capable: no
FabricPath capable: yes
Port mode: Switched
FEX Fabric: yes

So my question, is it even possible to configure breakout interfaces as routed ports rather than switched?

Thanks,

5 Replies 5

Hello

@ShaunGreen wrote:

So my question, is it even possible to configure breakout interfaces as routed ports rather than switched?

Did you change the port into a routed port

int x:x

no switchport 

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi Paul,

I had to swap it back hence the current config (I had other things to configure so had to get it back up and running...but I could swap back to test things)

So I understand due to the ASICS we have to configure a group of ports as breakout capable, hence the port numbering:

sho interface status

Eth2/1/1 VK05102-SWI-B10-01 connected trunk full 10G QSFP-4X10G-
Eth2/1/2 VK05102-SWI-B11-TR connected trunk full 10G QSFP-4X10G-
Eth2/1/3 VK05102-SWI-B02 Et connected trunk full 10G QSFP-4X10G-
Eth2/1/4 VK05102-SWI-A01-01 connected trunk full 10G QSFP-4X10G-
Eth2/2/1 -- sfpAbsent 1 full 10G --
Eth2/2/2 -- sfpAbsent 1 full 10G --
Eth2/2/3 -- sfpAbsent 1 full 10G --
Eth2/2/4 -- sfpAbsent 1 full 10G --
Eth2/3/1 -- sfpAbsent 1 full 10G --
Eth2/3/2 -- sfpAbsent 1 full 10G --
Eth2/3/3 -- sfpAbsent 1 full 10G --
Eth2/3/4 -- sfpAbsent 1 full 10G --
Eth2/4 -- sfpAbsent 1 half 40G --
Eth2/5 -- sfpAbsent 1 half 40G --
Eth2/6 VK05102-SWI-B02-TR connected trunk full 40G QSFP-H40G-C

So, 2/1/x, 2/2/x, 2/3/x and 2/4/x are now configured as breakouts.

So what I wanted to do was have e2/1/1 and e2/1/4 as routed ports using the no switchport and leave2/1/2 and 2/1/3 as trunks.

But unfortunately that didn't seem to work, the routed ports where showing as unknown and were down.

My gut feeling says you have to have them all as trunks, or all as routed ports.

I've tried to search around for answers, but so far I'm drawing blanks.

Cheers,
Simon.

Hello

So these ports you want as routed ports are in a L2 aggregation  if so then you shouldn’t be able to do this they need to be separated and on their own L3 aggregated link

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi,

So if I understand correctly, the correct process is before running the breakout.

I should have configured:

interface ether 2/1

no switchport

interface ether 2/2

no switchport

interface ether 2/3

no switchport

Then run the breakout command:

interface breakout slot 2 port 1-3 map 10g-4x

and then after the reset of the module, all of my breakout ports would ALL be routed interfaces?

Have I understood that correctly?

Thanks,

Simon.

Hello

TBH never done it but it seems an applicable way to do it just like any other L2/L3 aggregation - give it a try 

Kind Regards
Paul
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: