Views
Helpful
Replies

Server Farm Switch model

subratabiswas1
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all,

I have a customer looking to refresh his network at two locations (say location A and B). We have proposed Cat 9500 at Core and Cat 9300 at the Distribution, for the two locations. They are also planning for Server Farm switches at the two locations, the details of which has been given below:

i)  At one location A, Two nos. 24-port switch will be stacked at one location for almost 40 nos. physical servers. Other two will be in H.A.

ii)  At one part of location B, two nos. 48-port switch will be in H.A. for several physical servers.

iii) At the other part of location B, two nos. 24-port switch will be in H.A., also for several physical servers. 

Could you suggest Server Farm switches with Fiber uplink and 10G Copper ports for all these three locations? 

Thanks a lot in advance, for your help.

Rgds.

SuBi

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Technically Cat 9300 ( used for Access switch) - they not meant to be distribution ) - you can use Cat 9500 as Distribution )

If you looking for Server switch like DC environment, Look for Nexus 9K  ( there is no stacking in DC switches, instead you can use vPC).

https://www.cisco.com/c/en_uk/products/switches/nexus-9000-series-switches/index.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi Balaji,

Thanks for your prompt response. Actually the customer has budget constraint and that is why I have selected 9500 in the Core and 9300 in the Distribution. Otherwise I could propose 9600 in the Core and 9500 in the Distribution.

Also refer to Nexus 9K, I think it will also be beyond their budget. Please suggest any mid-range / low-end model.

Rgds.

SuBi

Sure i can understand the costing wise. make sense. (we need also alert to customer, what is the drawback if we chosse Cat 9300 vs Cat 9500 in distribution)

It all depends on what kind Server farms and throughput, if you like to compromise performance vs cost(that is business call)

you can look Lower end Nexus 3K

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/switches/data-center-switches/index.html#~benefits

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi Balaji,

Thanks for your prompt response. Actually the customer has budget constraint and that is why I have selected 9500 in the Core and 9300 in the Distribution. Otherwise I could propose 9600 in the Core and 9500 in the Distribution.

Also refer to Nexus 9K, I think it will also be beyond their budget. Please suggest any mid-range / low-end model.

Rgds.

SuBi