Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies
wayneoak1
Beginner

Shutting down the VSM

We have 8 ESXi servers in a cluster and only 1 VSM managing all of the VEM's in the same cluster. I need to shut down the VSM and restart it in order to clear an ESXi issue with storage. Shutting down the VSM is the only option for this procedure, a reboot doesn't work.

The question I have is what will happen to the VEM's during the time that the VSM is down? It would only be down for a minute or so and no vmotions or new VM's being created would happen during the outage.

I don't want to take a full outage on the ESXi cluster if at all possible.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Wayne

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Robert Burns
Cisco Employee

There's no problem with the VSM going offline.  The only thing to be aware of is you will not be able to make any DVS configuration changes.  This includes VSM config changes (obviously) but also any vmotion of virtual interfaces (Vmotion).  VMotion would simply fail during the validation phase and the VM would just stay where it is.  Other than that all VEMs and VMs will forward traffic as expected.

No special procedure to shut down or boot the VSM either - just power off then power back on when ready - simple.

Regards,

Robert

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Robert Burns
Cisco Employee

There's no problem with the VSM going offline.  The only thing to be aware of is you will not be able to make any DVS configuration changes.  This includes VSM config changes (obviously) but also any vmotion of virtual interfaces (Vmotion).  VMotion would simply fail during the validation phase and the VM would just stay where it is.  Other than that all VEMs and VMs will forward traffic as expected.

No special procedure to shut down or boot the VSM either - just power off then power back on when ready - simple.

Regards,

Robert

View solution in original post

Content for Community-Ad