cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Single ESX to host vCenter Server,VSM using only 2 pNICs?

I already installed vCenter Server, Nexus 1000v, VEM are already loaded on this ESX. I'm having problem adding pNICs in system-uplink and vm-uplink since vSwitch is occupying vmnic0. Is this possible? How can I achieved this?

BR,

Dave

3 Replies 3

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

David,

To add a host to the DVS you MUST assign an "unused" vmnic to the DVS.  Any vmnics that are currently assigned to a vSwitch can't be used.  In this case you'd need to add/connect a second NIC and assign that to the DVS.

Once you have at least one connected to the DVS the 1000v will have uplinks so you can then migrate any existing Service Console, VMKernel or VM interfaces off the vSwitch to the DVS.  When you've migrated everything over, you can remove vmnic0 from the vSwitch and move it to the DVS.

Robert

nsundar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi David,

If you are using the release 4.0(4)SV1(2), you can use the installer app, which will simplify these issues a lot.

In general, the installation documentation talks of using separate uplink port profiles to keep things simple. But it is possible to use a single uplink port profile which identifies the Control/Packet VLANs as system VLANs, and the data VLANs as regular VLANs.

Say you have VLAN 50,51 for Control and Packet VLANs, and you have VLANs 100-110 for data traffic.Here's an example profile. I am assuming you are using 4.0(4)SV1(1). Say vCenter needs VLAN 200.

port-profile uplink

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk allowed vlan 50,51,100-110, 200

no shut

system vlan 50,51

vmware port-group

state enable

Now, when you add the host to the DVS, you can add just one pnic with this profile (I am ssuming you have at least 2, but vmnic0 is on vswitch). This gives you all the connectivity you want to get started.

If you are running vCenter or VSM on the ESX, you need to use system profiles for those ports as well. Please look at:

https://communities.cisco.com/servlet/JiveServlet/previewBody/10623-102-5-23895/n1000v_gsg.pdf

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Sundar.

Hi Sundar,

Thanks for clearing it out. I'll try your suggestion and let you know. By the way, I can't download the pdf file in your link. It says my cisco login doesn't have authority level to access this site.

BR,

Dave