cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unique gateway between 2 data centers using nexus core switches

Hello Gents,

I have two 3548 nexus switches in Data Center A

I have two 5672 nexus switches in Data Center B

What technology can I use to setup a unique gateway between those 2 Data Centers,

Thanks,

Edouard.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Overlay Transport Virtualization (OTV) will allow you to stretch L2 between the data centers while maintaining separate failure domains and giving exiting traffic in each VLAN its own, local gateway to leave the data center. You could control the return path of the traffic using OSPF and putting a higher cost on one path than the other with the "ip ospf cost" command. 

In the solution above, I'm assuming one Data Center is active and the other is a standby, in case of a failure. In that scenario, all services have to run in one data center or the other. If you need both to be simultaneously active, then you need something like Locator/ID Separation Protocol (LISP) to solve that problem. You could still stretch the DCs with OTV or VXLAN, but wouldn't use OSPF the same way as above. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

bobbycornetto
Level 1
Level 1
Can you explain a bit further? A unique internet gateway between data centers that are stretched at L2? Or maybe you mean something completely different.

Yes, that I what I meant. 

Overlay Transport Virtualization (OTV) will allow you to stretch L2 between the data centers while maintaining separate failure domains and giving exiting traffic in each VLAN its own, local gateway to leave the data center. You could control the return path of the traffic using OSPF and putting a higher cost on one path than the other with the "ip ospf cost" command. 

In the solution above, I'm assuming one Data Center is active and the other is a standby, in case of a failure. In that scenario, all services have to run in one data center or the other. If you need both to be simultaneously active, then you need something like Locator/ID Separation Protocol (LISP) to solve that problem. You could still stretch the DCs with OTV or VXLAN, but wouldn't use OSPF the same way as above. 

Hi Bobby,

I have now the L2 stretched between Data Centers, one active and the other standby.

How would you recommend to manage the default gateway for the servers on each Data Center. Would each DC have a different Gateway or would you do HSRP between the 4 Nexus cross each Data Center.

Thank-you,

Edouard.