Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade SUP1 to SUP2E in Nexus 7018

john.shaik11
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have 2 Nexus 7018 with SUP1 (6.2.16) version and I want to upgrade with SUP2E. Both the nexus 7ks are in VPC.

can anyone tell me 

One switch with SUP1 (6.2.16) and other switch with SUP2E (7.0.0) . is VPC will be UP ?

If I purchased SUP2E from cisco, what is version with SUP2E will be shipped ? How I need to check.

Thanks,

John

4 Replies 4

ADP_89
Level 1
Level 1

Hello John,

No, you cannot have an active device with mixed SUPS, you must shutdown one nexus per time and replace both supervisors. Regarding the version it will be shipped with I am not sure, there is not policy on that. If you do not have a spare chassis were to power on the sups and upgrade/downgrade them to the right version you better prepare a good upgrade plan. You probably will need to filter off one device per time, shifting all the traffic to the other. Shut it down, unplug all the eth cables(just for security), power it on and then update/upgrade, load the config and check that is matching with the backup.

I have been there a few months ago,replaced 16 SUPS with no issues, if you need any tips feel free to ask.

This might help as well:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/hw/nexus7000/installation/guide/n7k_hig_book/n7k_replacing.html#46134

HTH,

ADP

Hi ADP,

Thanks for your information.I agree that mixed SUPs canot have in single Active device.

My question is,

We dont know SUP2E is shipped with which version. If I have one 7k with ( Dual SUP1) and other 7k with (Dual SUP2E) can form VPC ? Currently my SUP1 is running with 6.2 Version. can you please update me how much downtime require for this activity.

Hello,

Your best option is to take one device out of data-plane path like I said before, shut it down, swap the SUPs and then power it on with all the cables disconnected. Once the device is on you can perform all the upgrades/downgrades to match your version and restore the config on it (the copy to the running config might take several minutes, dependin on how many modules you have and how many ACL you configured.). Once the device is ready, save the config shut it off again, plug the cables and restart it. Depending on the moment where you saved the config you might need to restore the configs to have it forward the traffic again(like no shut the interfaces towards the clients and restore L3 protocols).

If all your devices are dual homed to both 7K downtime is not a problem, you can do one device per time without dowtime.

In my opinion it's best if you perform the sup upgrade sticking to the current version and eventually you upgrade them using ISSU once you are sure that the new SUPs are stable.

Thanks,

ADP

nazimkha
Level 4
Level 4

Although you cannot have SUP1 & SUP2 in the same N7K but for migration you can have one vPC switch with SUP1 and other vPC switch SUP2

Not sure which version you are running but with vPC shutdown you can isolate the switch carry out maintenance and reintroduce back into the vPC domain with minimal disruption if you have all device dual homed to the vPC domain