Helpful
Replies

Upgrading Cisco NXOS

ali007
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a few questions and was wondering if you could help me out here:

I am upgrading cisco N93180yc-ex from version 7.0.3.I4.2 to the current recommended version 7.0.3.I7.8, these swithes are single supervisor so I guess the only way is disruptive however as they are in VPC so I can upgrade one at a time which should reduce outage if not completely avoid it. However, when checking the following site:

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/Website/datacenter/ISSUmatrix/index.html#cur=7.0(3)I4(2)&tar=7.0(3)I7(8)

it says that I have to go via an upgrade path instead of direct. So my question is, since this will not be an ISSU upgrade due to a single supervisor, do I still have to follow this upgrade path?

second question is that I was testing a software upgrade show install command of on cisco N9508 dual supervisor switch and it came up with something like: disruptive and not a hitless upgrade or somethign of the sort.

although we are upgrading just a minor release i.e. from 7.0(3)I7(2) to 7.0(3)I7(8).

I will really appreciate your help with this.

Kind regards,

4 Replies 4

Christopher Hart
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Mohammad!

First and foremost, there two different categories of NX-OS upgrades for Nexus 9000 series switches:

• Disruptive NX-OS software upgrades
  • Non-disruptive ISSUs (In-Service Software Upgrades)

In general, the supported upgrade paths for one category will be different than the other. As the name implies, the NX-OS ISSU Support Matrix identifies the upgrade path for non-disruptive ISSUs, not for disruptive NX-OS software upgrades.

Upgrade paths for disruptive NX-OS software upgrades can be identified through the target NX-OS software release notes as well as the relevant NX-OS Software Upgrade and Downgrade guide. The NX-OS 7.0(3)I7(8) software release notes can be found here, which point to the Cisco Nexus 9000 Series NX-OS Software Upgrade and Downgrade Guide, Release 7.x document.

I briefly reviewed these documents, and a direct disruptive upgrade can be made from NX-OS software release 7.0(3)I4(2) to NX-OS software release 7.0(3)I7(8). However, I recommend reviewing both documents yourself for any caveats that may be relevant to your specific configuration and environment.

For your second question, it sounds like you executed and are interpreting the output of the show install all impact nxos bootflash:{target-nxos-release.bin} command. By default, this command will assume you want to perform a standard NX-OS disruptive upgrade, not an ISSU. If you'd like to perform an ISSU, you will need to execute the show install all impact bootflash:{target-nxos-release.bin} non-disruptive command in order to see results relevant to an ISSU.

If the output of this command is still confusing, please show us the output of the command and highlight what specific aspect you need clarification on, and we would be happy to help further!

I hope this helps - thank you!

-Christopher

Thanks Christopher.

I went through the provided release notes documents but could not find a disruptive upgrade path matrix. Could you please let me know where in the document did you see the following:

I briefly reviewed these documents, and a direct disruptive upgrade can be made from NX-OS software release 7.0(3)I4(2) to NX-OS software release 7.0(3)I7(8)

I am upgrading a few 100 switches which are on the following OS version at the moment:

NXOS 7.0.3.I4.4, NXOS 7.0.3.I4.2 and NXOS 7.0.3.I7.6 

many thanks.

Hi Mohammad,

There is no documented disruptive NX-OS software upgrade path matrix for Nexus 9000 series switches. Instead, we document scenarios wherein a direct disruptive NX-OS software upgrade is not supported through caveats/guidelines in the "Cisco NX-OS Software Upgrade Guidelines" section of the "Upgrading or Downgrading the Cisco Nexus 9000 Series NX-OS Software" chapter of the Cisco Nexus 9000 Series NX-OS Software Upgrade and Downgrade Guide, Release 7.x document. If you review this list of caveats and guidelines and do not find one applicable to your environment, switch's configuration, or source/target NX-OS releases, then you may proceed with a direct NX-OS software upgrade from your source release to your desired target release.

It is worth keeping in mind that in general, the Nexus 9000 series switches are much more forgiving with direct disruptive NX-OS software upgrades than other Nexus platforms (such as Nexus 3000, 5000, 6000, and 7000 series switches). For that reason, there is no need for a disruptive NX-OS software upgrade path matrix for Nexus 9000 series switches, as the vast majority of scenarios are supported.

I hope this helps - thank you!

-Christopher

Maybe this one helps: https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/Website/datacenter/ISSUmatrix/index.html 

Edit: please ignore. I did not noticed Christopher already shared the link. ^_^

Stay safe,

Sergiu

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: