cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

vCenter permisions required for Nexus 1000V

bproteau1
Level 1
Level 1

Discosure: I am on the VMware side of the house helping our Network guys with the transition. I have a few install questions.

• ESXi 4.1 environment
  • Nexus1000V-4.2.1.SV1.4
  • We have 10GbE interfaces. Hosts are plugged directly into a Nexus 5K
  • We have created 3 separate VLANs for Packet, Control, and Management (currently they exist on each Host Server's 1GB onboard interface which is trunked)

1. We are doing the JAVA install portion and they are telling me it's hanging at "Validating Install" (see attached image). I wanted to check if there was a common obvious issue that migth cause this.
  2. The install asks for a vCenter User ID. I assume it needs Adminsitrator is that true?
  3. What about where in the tree for propogation? Currently, I have it only added to a subfolder containing the ESX Cluster Hosts that will be utilizing the 1000V
  4. We aren't restricting anything currently but, what are the access requirements between VSM IP and vCenter IP?
1 Reply 1

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

1. There shouldn't be any problems, just ensure your Java is up to date, flush the Java Cache (Control Panel - Java) and restart the install.  If you still have issues let me know, or you can try the manual install method also.

2. Yes, for the VSM installation you'll need Administrator access.  There's an extension key that requires admin permissions to register.

3. Your heirarchy can be anything you want under the same Datacenter.  Only hosts within the same DC can be added to the same 1000v.

4. Only access is Port 80/443 - depending what you're using in the svs connection parameters.  Please see my other post for more information on Ports used with 1000v communication: https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2070391

Regards,

Robert