Views
Helpful
Replies

Vethernet1 is down (port-profile not found) - HyperV

javier.pobeda
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

It´s my first time installing this over Hyper-V, I took some labs over VMware and everythings worked fine.

We have a fresh install of Nexus 1000v for Hyper-v. We made the manual installation because an error got during the wizard installation process.

Following the guide installation workflow.

See the attached config file.

I see the vem module registered and the ethernet assigned to it, but when we create a new VM on the host, it becomes up and shows the follow error

2013 Aug 27 10:53:36 ACANWN1KVA %VIM-5-IF_ATTACHED: Interface Vethernet1 is attached to Network Adapter of ACAN1k201 on port 1 of module 3 with dvport id ad75998d-2f63-4ce7-bb2

0-152da7ca2e5e--cf8558c3-2b8a-499a-aa3d-d61cbc429418

2013 Aug 27 10:53:36 ACANWN1KVA %ETHPORT-5-IF_DOWN_PORT_PROFILE_NOT_FOUND: Interface Vethernet1 is down (port-profile not found)

2013 Aug 27 10:58:43 ACANWN1KVA %ETHPORT-5-IF_ADMIN_UP: Interface Vethernet1 is admin up .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vethernet     VLAN   Type Mode   Status  Reason                    Speed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Veth1         1      virt access down    NoPortProfile             auto  

Do I missing something?

If you need any further information, please let me know.

5 Replies 5

javier.pobeda
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry all,

We missed chosing port classification over vm network from SCVMM when we add network adapter to a vm.

Is it a normal behavior making a dynamic port-profile for every vm network we create on scvmm? I mean, it's just a hyper-v related thing right?

port-profile dynpp_be45fcfe-04bb-4c65-8e05-a445db384e25_ae297898-7352-4671-b425-ec15842bdf44

Vethernet1

port-profile dynpp_be45fcfe-04bb-4c65-8e05-a445db384e25_b7cfb602-e2f1-496a-804e-fc2a70e63c46

Vethernet2

the configuration inherited it´s coming from the right port-profile previous configured.

Regards

Javier,

Yes it is expected behavior.

With Hyper-V connectivity is decided by network segments. Policy is decided by port-profiles. When a VM is created and assigned a VM network (network-segment) and a port-classification(port-profile) they are combined to create a dynamic port-profile that is a combination of both the network-segment and port-profile.

We create one dynamic port-profile per network-segment/port-profile combination as they are needed.

louis

louis, thanks for your reply.

Do I have to configure some special parameter if I want to run the VSM VM on the host with the VEM extension?

Is it mandatory to run the vsm virtual machine on a hyper-v with its native virtual switch ?

Regards

If you want to move the VSM onto the VEM you need to configure the system command on your uplinks and your network-segments. Just like you would configure system vlan command on the VSM for ESX.

We would recommend in a production environment to keep the VSM on an MS switch and not the VEM. We are still waiting on some enhancements and bug fixes to SCVMM that would make the VSM on the VEM more robust. It works but in a production environment we would recommend against it.

louis

Thanks Iouis, I will move onto the VEM just for testing purpose and then If we get a good performance instead of MS switch I will follow your recomendation on keeping the VSM onto the MS switch for production environment.

Regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: