Views
Helpful
Replies

VPC between different models in N9K series

ss1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

In an effort to upgrade an old 40G network to 100G I may look at replacing a couple of switches, all of them are in different VPC segments.
Our aggregation layer consists of switches N3K-C3164Q which are all in VPC domains, they may be replaced with N9K-C9364C. Can I replace each VPC node one by one? Is the VPC going to converge between C3164Q and C9364C? 

The same upgrade may need to be performed with N9K-C9396PX. Can I converge a VPC between 9396PX and 93180YC-EX and replace nodes one by one? 

Of course I will keep in mind to observe equal port speeds towards the downstream switches.

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sergiu.Daniluk
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @ss1

No, it is not supported to have vPC between different families of Nexus, not even between different models from the same family:

• The switches in a vPC domain, the peer switches, must be of the same type. For example, you can connect a pair of Cisco Nexus 9300 series switches; but you cannot connect a Cisco Nexus 9300 series switch to a Cisco Nexus 9500 series switch within a vPC domain.
  • vPC peer switches must also be of the same type. For example, you can connect a pair of Cisco Nexus 9300-EX switches, but you cannot connect a Cisco Nexus 9300-EX switch to a Cisco Nexus 9300-FX switch in a vPC domain.

You can find more details about vPC in the config guide (where the above bullets are also present): https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus9000/sw/93x/interfaces/configuration/guide/b-cisco-nexus-9000-nx-os-interfaces-configuration-guide-93x/b-cisco-nexus-9000-nx-os-interfaces-configuration-guide-93x_chapter_01000.html

Stay safe and happy new year!

Sergiu

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Sergiu.Daniluk
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @ss1

No, it is not supported to have vPC between different families of Nexus, not even between different models from the same family:

• The switches in a vPC domain, the peer switches, must be of the same type. For example, you can connect a pair of Cisco Nexus 9300 series switches; but you cannot connect a Cisco Nexus 9300 series switch to a Cisco Nexus 9500 series switch within a vPC domain.
  • vPC peer switches must also be of the same type. For example, you can connect a pair of Cisco Nexus 9300-EX switches, but you cannot connect a Cisco Nexus 9300-EX switch to a Cisco Nexus 9300-FX switch in a vPC domain.

You can find more details about vPC in the config guide (where the above bullets are also present): https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus9000/sw/93x/interfaces/configuration/guide/b-cisco-nexus-9000-nx-os-interfaces-configuration-guide-93x/b-cisco-nexus-9000-nx-os-interfaces-configuration-guide-93x_chapter_01000.html

Stay safe and happy new year!

Sergiu

Thanks for the information Sergiu.

What if we have N3K-C3524P-XL and N3K-C3524P-10GX. Or between different SKU of 9300-FX. Are they considered as different type?

Thank you.

faruk.zaimovic
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Is possible make VPC between N9K-93180YC-FX3 and N9K-93240YC-FX2?

User24571
Level 1
Level 1

I have a slightly different question: Can I put together a VPC from a Cisco Nexus towards a Cisco Catalyst? If yes, what will then be on the Cisco Catalyst side, port-chanel?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: