cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

vPC between SUP1 and SUP2E

Scott_22
Level 1
Level 1

Are there any issues with running a vPC between a 7K running SUP1s and a 7K running SUP2Es?

3 Replies 3

ADP_89
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Scott,

VPC is not depending on Supervisors, you can form a working VPC between 2 chassis, one running on SUP1 and one running on SUP2E. 

You need to pay attention though to the I/O modules, as you cannot have different types of modules with interfaces part of the peer-link. NX-OS release matters as well and you need to make sure that if you are upgrading one chassis to a new version the current nx-os will be compatible. 

HTH,

ADP

That happens to be the case here, we will be installing SUP2Es with M3 I/O modules on both chassis. So with that being said, when we go to upgrade one chassis, will they both have to be done at the same time since that will bring the vPC down until the M3 modules are installed on both? What would that process be?

Hello,

I guess you have 2 ways in order to have this done. The first one is by shutting down both chassis, obviously with downtime. The other is to use a couple of M2 linecards to use for transitioning as M1 can work with M2 which can work with M3. It will require a few reboots on each chassis but you should be able to do it without downtime. Hopefully you can borrow them somewhere temporarily.

HTH,

ADP

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: