Helpful
Replies

vPC peer-link question...

GU JAHONG
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.

I never run Nexus Swithes...

So, I have a few questions. In an environment configured with a VPC Can the traffic of the Orphan port connected to the bottom be forwarded through the peer link??? (I wonder if it works like Catalyst's Inter-link.)

please answer about my question.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sergiu.Daniluk
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @GU JAHONG 

If you have two devices connected as orphan ports, each of them connected to different vPC peer, then yes, the traffic will be forwarded over the peer-link. Here is a diagram for reference:

Untitled.png

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

EDIT - vPC peer link meant for Layer 2 traffic between Switches in the vPC domain.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Sergiu.Daniluk
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @GU JAHONG 

If you have two devices connected as orphan ports, each of them connected to different vPC peer, then yes, the traffic will be forwarded over the peer-link. Here is a diagram for reference:

Untitled.png

Thanks

ss1
Level 1
Level 1

In addition to what Sergiu already explained:

Any traffic ingressing the switch through a switch port can egress the VPC deployment either from the same switch OR through the other switch (in this case it passes through the VPC peer link first). The traffic will egress through the same switch without passing through the VPC peer link in each case when this is possible, i.e. if there is a switchport on the same switch where the traffic has ingressed.

The VPC scenario does NOT support distribution of the load through the VPC peer-link in case your different port-channels are with different capacities. For example, if switch A is connected to switch C on 20G while switch B is connected to switch C on 10G, then any orphan traffic arriving on switch B will only utilize the uplink towards switch C without having half of the traffic pass through the peer link regardless of the fact that switch A may have more capacity to switch C. The same traffic will only flow through the peer link in case of complete failure of the local link between both switches. 

Having this in mind I can confirm that your scenario would work, however I strongly discourage orphan ports usage in each case this is possible for you - the purpose of having VPC nodes is to have each of your devices connected to both switches even if the opposite is supported as well. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: