Views
Helpful
Replies

VPC PeerLink Best Practice

anthonykahwati
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

How "best practice"" is it to have a separate port channel for non-VPC traffic and a separate one for VPC traffic (aka the peer link)?

Is it a must or would you just use the dual-active exclude command for non-VPC traffic?

What if the VPC is from and edge switch to 2 distribution layer switches.... in which case, all traffic is VPC traffic.

Many thanks

1 Reply 1

Sergiu.Daniluk
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @anthonykahwati 

By non-VPC traffic you mean vlans which are not allowed over VPC port-channels, including peer-link?

In my opinion, if this non-vpc vlans are not the most critical (and probably they are not, because otherwise you would have the endpoints connected in vPC) I would not increase the complexity of the configuration, by adding a different port-channel. Because when it comes to operations you would have to always take into considerations both vpc and non-vpc vlans. Otherwise, if all vlans are allowed over peer-link, they will follow the same logic.  Plus, the "non-vpc vlans" will not benefit of the active-active routing of VPC.

So I do not see it as a best practice to have dedicated PO for non-vpc vlans. "dual-active exclude" would be a better approach. 

Cheers,

Sergiu

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: