cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

vPC spanning tree issue

sg.lee
Level 1
Level 1

We are running a pair of N7K in NX-OS mode. These two switches are connected in a vPC peer set up.

And N3K#1 uplinked to both N7K switches and it's spanning tree root for all VLANs. (it means non-vPC member port)

In this scenario the N3K switch is root bridge and RSTP alternate port will be set on vPC peer-link.

But I found out the rule on vPC will never be blocked on both vPC peer-link.

I wonder how it work with this scenario?  No STP blocked port any switch?

3 Replies 3

Andrea Testino
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

This scenario is fairly common and you should not have anything to worry about. Nexus in a vPC domain use vPC's Data-Plane Loop Avoidance by default instead of relying on STP/control-plane.

I'd read over vPC Best Practices Guide, Page 8 goes over the Loop Avoidance rule that covers the scenario you're mentioning where all STP ports are Forwarding, link below:

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/design/vpc_design/vpc_best_practices_design_guide.pdf

Let me know if something isn't clear. Happy to help.

- Andrea, CCIE #56739 R&S

I checked loop avoidance behavior with vPC member ports. But in my case the N3K is not configured port-channel and both N9K switches are not configured vPC member. Just working as legacy RSTP.

In my opinion, N3K is root bridge and both N9K switches peer-link can't be root port, therefore the peer-link will be blocked.

But vPC will never be blocked on both vPC peer-link and it's working as root port.

Hello,

The peer-switch statement under VPC domain configuration will make the N7Ks being seen as a single STP device. That must be configured on both N7K and with the same STP priority on both.

That being said, I don't see any benefit in your STP design instead of aggregating the N3K uplinks into a VPC, which would remove STP questions and allow all uplinks usage. Alternatively, you may think about moving STP Root to N7K if your design permits it.

Remi Astruc

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: