cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VSM standalone to active/standby?

doug.baer
Level 1
Level 1

I haven't thought about this before, but is it possible to convert a VSM that was installed as 'standalone' to an active then add a standby to the configuration, or is the answer given at initial config time my 'final answer'?

If this is possible, is it as simple as bringing up a new VSM as a standby with the same domain ID, or do I need to build a new active/standby pair and migrate my licensing/configuration to it?

Thanks!

3 Replies 3

doug.baer
Level 1
Level 1

Sigh. Of course, by the time I get around to posting about this, I find the answer in a document that I had downloaded

FOr those interested, this is possible, and there is a section called, "Adding a Second VSM to a Standalone System" in the Cisco Nexus 1000V High Availability and Redundancy Reference guide available here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus1000/sw/4_0/high_availibility/configuration/guide/n1000v_ha_cfg.pdf

RTFM, I guess

When I execute the 'system redundancy role primary' command on my VSM, it accepts the command, reloads the VM (before I can copy run start), and comes back up as a standalone. Every time.

Note this only happens if I execute the command while in the config context.  If I execute the command while in EXEC mode, it works fine and I can save the configuration.

Maybe this is a bug? If only I'd followed directions, I wouldn't have had it reload my VSM.

I noticed that same behavior. I tried the same thing with the new 1.2 release and it seems like it's been fixed.

I would highly recommend rebooting the VSM after you switch the role. I had issues getting the secondary VSM to connect to the primary VSM until I rebooted the primary VSM after the changing the role from standalone to primary.

Let us know if you still have issues.

louis

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: