cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Will Traceroute-MAC or similar Command works on Nexus Devices

Chiranjit Dey
Level 1
Level 1

Just like traceroute mac  works on IOS device , will same feature works on NX-os as well. I have 7k seats on my Core followed by 5k as access/Distribution from there few 3750/2960 Connected   down the line, problem is every time when I need to trace a mac address I have to check the mac address table  on core , find out the egress port ,login to the down link 5k then login  to that switch check the mac address table again , follow this process until got the actual destination. So wanted to know if we have any commands similar like traceroute mac on Nxos

2 Replies 2

ADP_89
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Unfortunately mac traceroute was never implemented in NX-OS software. If you need to trace a mac-address you will have to do it manually following these steps:

- show mac-address table address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx (this eventually will return a Port-Channel or a single Eth interface)

- find out where that interface/Port-Channel is going via CDP/LLDP. If you have a Port-Channel you will need to understand which physical interface are the one who make it up using the command show port-channel summary interface PoXXX

- once you get the cdp neighbor you can jump on that box and recursively start the whole operation.

It is a little bit a boring job but it's the only way to do it using classical ethernet configurations.

HTH,

ADP

Yes, We basically follow the steps what you have described and completely agree this is a boring and sometime bit hectic as well and that's why wanted to know  if we have any procedure or commands that can shorten the process .