cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Android APK IP phone service parameters

sergeytumashov
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to set up an Android APK IP phone service to push my app to a bunch of DX phones. According to this document Pushing Applications to your DX650 the service's parameters should be installed on the phone and the app should be able to access them via shared preferences. My application does get successfully pushed to the phones subscriberd to the service. But contrary to what the document states, none of the service parameters appear in the app's default shared preferences file on the device.

Any troubleshooting ideas are highly appreciated.

3 Replies 3

Geevarghese Cheria
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Sergey,

Please refer Push Android APK Files through Cisco Unified Communications Manager for related information.

For Service URL field description:
Enter the URL of the server where the IP phone services application is located. Make sure that this server remains independent of the servers in your Cisco Unified Communications Manager cluster. Do not specify a Cisco Unified Communications Manager server or any server that is associated with Cisco Unified Communications Manager (such as a TFTP server or directory database publisher server).

For the services to be available, the phones in the Cisco Unified Communications Manager cluster must have network connectivity to the server.

For Cisco-signed Java MIDlets, enter the location where the JAD file can be downloaded;for example, a web server or the backend application server to which the Java MIDlet communicates.

For Cisco-provided default services, the service URL displays as Application:Cisco/<name of service> by default; for example, Application:Cisco/CorporateDirectory. If you modify the service URL for Cisco-provided default services, verify that you configured Both for the Service Provisioning setting, which displays in the Phone, Enterprise Parameter, and Common Phone Profile Configuration windows.

For example, you use a custom corporate directory, so you change Application:Cisco/CorporateDirectory to the external service URL for your custom directory; in this case, change the Service Provisioning setting to Both.

Thanks and Regards,
Geevarghese

Hi Geevarghese,

Thank you for your response.

I have no problem pushing my application to the phones - my application does get installed on the phones subscribed to my service and the phone users can successfully run it afterwards. What I'm trying to achieve is to configure my application after it gets pushed to the phones using the IP phone service parameters. The DX600 Series blog post I mentioned above indicates that the information specified in the Service Parameter Information section should be available to the Android application via the mechanism of shared preferences.

Screenshot from 2014-07-21 14:01:11.png

That is, if an IP phone service has a parameter with the name "font.size" whose default value is set to "LARGE", the Android application associated with that service should later be able to obtain the value "LARGE" of "font.size" via a call like this:

SharedPreferences app_preferences = PreferenceManager.getDefaultSharedPreferences(this);

String param1 = app_preferences.getString("font.size", "");

And that's where I haven't had any luck so far. After my application is pushed to the phones, its shared preferences file has no traces of any phone service parameters.

Hi Sergey,

I think you need to Select the "Override Common Settings" box for any corresponding setting in the Product Specific Configuration area that you wish to update. If you do not check this box, the corresponding parameter setting does not take effect. Parameters that you set in the Product Specific Configuration area may also appear in the Device Configuration window for various devices and in the Enterprise Phone Configuration window. If you set these same parameters in these other windows too, the setting that takes precedence is determined in the following order: 1) Device Configuration window settings, 2) Common Phone Profile window settings, 3) Enterprise Phone Configuration window settings.

I would also recommend the below video which is quite informative:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRT2SyTaLQ8

Thanks and Regards,

Geevarghese

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: