cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Are you using ChatGPT or Bard for work?

Sean Dahlberg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I received access to Google's Bard [https://bard.google.com/] today. I was already playing around with ChatGPT, so I wanted to see its differences. Of course, before doing anything serious, I asked both to tell me a joke about DevOps.

From Bard:

What do you call a DevOps engineer who can't automate anything?

A manual tester.

This joke is funny because it plays on the stereotype that DevOps engineers are all about automation. The punchline is that a manual tester is the opposite of an automated tester, which is what a DevOps engineer is supposed to be.

From ChatGPT:

Why did the DevOps engineer refuse to deploy the new code on Friday afternoon?

Because he wanted to have a weekend that wasn't on call!

I'm not sure if the last one is a joke or just plain true

Back to the real topic; are you using ChatGPT or something else for DevOps? While I doubt DevOps engineers or SREs are at risk of being replaced anytime soon (trying to ask it something complex or with more than a few conditions), it is an interesting tool.

For example, ask one of them (or both if you have access) to "Write a Python Script for ssh onto a VM and check the memory usage, then output the results to a file. This script should be scalable to work against multiple VMs". Note, this is a question I saw Caoimhe Harvey write in her article: Using ChatGPT for DevOps

They both go about it roughly the same way, although I like how ChatGPT pointed out that "This script will output the results to a file named "memory_usage.txt" in the same directory as the script.

Have you checked out either ChatGPT or Bard? If so, what are your thoughts so far and what are you using it for?

10 Replies 10

There is a lot of hype around ChatGPT, and tools like this do have great potential, but it can't do everything , it is not magic by any means. I would still not advocate copying suggested code into prod, in the same way would never say take the top answer from StackOverflow and copy it to your prod code.

Many businesses have yet to make any formal regulations on their employees use of AI tools such as ChatGP.T Some might take the path to as they did with tools such as Grammarly, as long as confidential data is not revealed to the website.

Please mark this as helpful or solution accepted to help others
Connect with me https://bigevilbeard.github.io

+100%

In fact, received an email today around ChatGPT and two of the points it made that I found interesting are:

• We don't know how secure ChatGPT, Bard, etc are. It is too soon to tell with certainty.
  • ChatGPT and other AI tools gather information from cloud resources that may or may not be reliable and therefore do not always provide trustworthy responses. As a best practice, always fact-check the output.

The latter reminds me of one of my favorite memes:

dont-believe-everything-you-see-on-the-internet-abraham-lincoln.jpeg

Just because you read it on the internet, that doesn't mean it's true. You should always test, validate, and do your due diligence.

I think we are safe for now....

FrxdfRoXoAAwbgL.jpeg

haha, I wanted to see it for myself, but apparently, they've fixed it since then.

screenshot-bard.google.com-2023.03.23-09_14_11.png

But, to your earlier point, everyone should definitely double-check anything they get. Whether from Bard, ChatGPT, StackOverflow, or even here in the Cisco Developer Community. 

Unless its from me and it's beard advise, you can take that to the bank!

davidn#
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I personally have been using ChatGPT more and more to help me writing better Javascript, JSX code faster. During Cisco Live Amsterdam, I need to make some modification to the demo web app but wasn't sure how. I  consulted with some Javascript/CSS expert, checked on StackOverflow but we couldn't come up with the solution. I thought of ChatGPT and gave it a try. Low and behold, it suggested a correct solution to my problem. Of course, it helps if you can form a good and detailed question to feed to the chat

davidn#
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I want to find the process that tied up the port I want to use so I asked both Bard and ChatGPT:

Screenshot 2023-03-31 at 1.57.38 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-03-31 at 1.59.02 PM.png

Needless to say Bard still has a long way to go...

ChatGPT is a more working Ai site than Bard. I am using chatGPT for content writing. and it is amazing .

celetea.com
Level 1
Level 1

No chatgpt or bard at the moment.

Are we going to let them overpower human intelligence ?

liviu.gheorghe
Spotlight
Spotlight

Not using ChatGPT or Bard at the moment, but strongly considering using them for learning and testing.

Regards, LG
*** Please Rate All Helpful Responses ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: