Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisci DevNet Certification

Shahid Ishaq
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I'm slightly confused around the new DevNet Cert, to pursue this cert do I already need to have knowledge in programming or can I jump right in, I currently work in networking industry and want to get another cert to keep myself updated in the knowledge/industry.

Regards

3 Replies 3

omz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi 

Cisco DevNet Associate certification is 80% software development and 20% networking.

You need to learn new skills and technologies to gain DevNet certification. 

The skills you pick up in DevNet certification are highly valuable and in-demand.

DevNet website is a great place to start learning about coding and software development.

DevNet Associate course is a streamlined version of all the material already available on DevNet website for free.

Pluralsight is also offering a good DevNet course.

If you don't have any previous knowledge of software development and you are motivated to learn .. I would say .. 12 months for preparation and get a good understanding. If you already doing some coding and familiar with software development concepts .. then depending on your circumstance.. you can prepare in 2-3 weeks to 1-2 months.

hope this helps

please don't forget to rate any helpful posts 

@omz 

Thanks for the helpful information, I have working background in Cisco/Juniper/Alcatel routers and switches and various transmission equipment, but want to expand my knowledge that will also help me progress in my career, a discussion with friends who had advised that automation is now also a big thing in networking hence my interest in Devnet.

Any good sourced and books you recommend ?

@Shahid Ishaq personally I have not used any books so far ... why spend money when a lot of information is freely available.

devnet website is a very very good resource to start learning ... start with startnow section .. its all free!

https://developer.cisco.com/startnow/

you can reserve sandbox or use always-on sandbox to play and test your code .. again free.

python is the most popular programming language used by network engineers at the moment.

there are tons of free resources to learn python just google learn python :)