Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Devnet Associate Fundamentals Training Course Developer Environment

Hello,

Hopefully someone from Cisco who created the DevNet Associate Fundamentals course can answer this.

I just purchased the course and am going through it.  During the developer environment setup for Mac, you have end users install Python2.  Python2 is EOL/EOS.  https://www.python.org/doc/sunset-python-2/

Why have users do this?  All new development should be on Python3.  Or at a bare minimum, you should call out why you're having end users install Python2 and recommend that unless there's a strong reason, they should be using Python3 for all projects.

Thanks,

Joe

2 Replies 2

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

I certainly agree that within your own virtual environment you should endeavour to use Python 3, however the landscape in cisco land is a little more fragmented. For example the last few times I have checked all on the box interpreters on IOS-XE are still using some flavour of Python2. Some Cisco APIs use 2 others use 3...

I am not sure what the Devnet Assoc course entails but perhaps there are elements of installing and running scripts on switches instead of at them, in which case you will need to develop them in Python2.

As for why there is still so much Python2 within cisco despite the well publicised sunset date. good question!

cheers,

Seb.

Why is the script in Netfund calling for the install of a Python version that is EOL??

Material should be updated, Unless I am missing something