cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 5500 and 3000 also support Double-Sided vPC with 32-Way Port-Channel ?

jimmy.wucy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everybody :

I need conformance this solution is work for nexus 5596T and nexus 3172TQ.

Have someone can help us?

I have see  N7K best practices for vPC design guide.
https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/design/vpc_design/vpc_best_practices_design_guide.pdf

In n7k and n5k support "Double-Sided vPC with 32-Way Port-Channel".

I have a case, the Core Switch is Nexus 5596T,  and now we want buy a server farm switch is Nexus 3172TQ.
We want use the Double-Sided solution, but only see document say

"When you configure the EtherChannels in a vPCā€”including the vPC peer link channelā€”each switch can have up to 16 active links in a single EtherChannel. When you configure a vPC on a Fabric Extender, only one port is allowed in an EtherChannel."

Cisco Nexus 5500 Series NX-OS Interfaces Configuration Guide, Release 6.x - Configuring Virtual Port Channels [Cisco Neā€¦

cheers

jimmy

2 Replies 2

rogupta2
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Jimmy,

Nexus 7k, 5k, 3k all support VPCs as we all know.

I have seen VPCs mostly between 7k&5k, 5k&2k. However, I could not find any Cisco doc which talks about Nexus 5k and 3k in VPC.

To answer your question, there is no document which confirms if Nexus 5k to 3k can offer double sided VPC.

As per the doc Cisco Nexus 5500 Series NX-OS Interfaces Configuration Guide, Release 6.x - Configuring Virtual Port Channels [Cisco Neā€¦

Cisco Nexus 3000 Series NX-OS Layer 2 Switching Configuration Guide, Release 5.0(3)U2(1) - Configuring Virtual Port Chanā€¦

Each switch can have up to 16 active links in a single EtherChannel. so, a single side VPC should be able to support 16 active links.

Supposing, this architecture supports double-sided vpc, it should also allow us to have 32-way port channel. As of now, it is believed to be available only with Nexus 7k.

Hope this helps, Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,

Rohit

This is my result:

1. The services are down.
  2. N5k: vPC role: secondary, operational primary.
  3. N3k: vPC role: none established.
  4. Then the N3k hits the loop with high CPU process. :-D

Thank you very much.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: