cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VIRL and VMWare Player for Playing with OnePK, SDN Controller, etc

awilki012
Level 1
Level 1

Hey everyone! I hope I'm posting this in the right section.

I just recently purchased VIRL and only have VMware Player. I would like for my host machine or another VM on my host to have direct access to the network equipment so I can play around with OnePK and OpenDaylight, etc.

Does VMware player allow me to do this or must I purchase VMware Workstation? My host is Windows 10.

I'm asking because I saw some disclaimers revolving around this on the VIRL website. I just want to confirm.

Regards,

Adam Wilkins

3 Replies 3

Geevarghese Cheria
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Adam,

The VM will work with any virtualization application that supports Open Virtualization Archive (OVA) files. It has been tested against the following:

• VMWare ESXi
  • VMWare Workstation
  • VMWare Fusion
  • Oracle VirtualBox 4.2

Reference - Using the All-in-One Virtual Machine

Thanks and Regards,

Geevarghese

Thanks! That really helps!

I don't see VMWare player listed, but I can run the all-in-one VM using VirtualBox. Now, if I run the all-in-one in VirtualBox, can I get that to communicate with my VIRL VM running on VMWare Player? Or, do I need VMWare Workstation? From the documentation I read, VIRL will not run on VirtualBox, but perhaps I'm mistaken???

Regards,

Adam

Hi Adam,

Hope this url will answer your question- Cisco VIRL ALL-IN-ONE VM from devnet | Cisco Modeling Labs | Cisco Support Community | 12269101 | 12454716

Thanks and Regards,

Geevarghese

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: