cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't start VIRL on simulation: Failed to license simulation

Nakrule
Level 1
Level 1

When using VIRL provided by Cisco Devnet, I can successfully create a new topology, but starting the simulation from UWM web interface always gave the following error:

Failed to launch topology from editor: STD simengine-launch request received invalid response: 403 - Failed to license simulation.

I though the Devnet version of VIRL was free to use, is that not true and I need to buy a normal VIRL license?

Thank  you for support.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I think I know the issue... the VIRL setup is licensed for a certain number of devices.. you likely have the default simulation still running so starting another simulation is putting you over the limit.  Go to the "My Simulations" page and stop the running simulation, then yo shoudl be able to start another one.  

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

hapresto
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The VIRL labs from Sandbox should all be licensed already, there is no need to purchase anything.  Sometimes the license server connection gets disconnected, but typically reconnects again quickly.  

I just checked your active lab server and see you have a VIRL simulation running and an active license so looks like it did clear itself up.  If you have more problems, just let us know.  

Hank 

Hi,

I tested again right now and got the same error with the linked topology. I use Firefox in Ubuntu if that matter.

topo.pnguwm.png

I think I know the issue... the VIRL setup is licensed for a certain number of devices.. you likely have the default simulation still running so starting another simulation is putting you over the limit.  Go to the "My Simulations" page and stop the running simulation, then yo shoudl be able to start another one.  

Thank you, that solved it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: