Views
Helpful
Replies

DevNet Sandbox CML - can't add nodes ?

smstetson
Level 1
Level 1

Howdy folks!

Last year I used the DevNet Sandbox Content Modeling Labs to study for my CCNA.

I have been studying other vendors for a while, but am ready to start hitting my CCNP studies pretty hard. I ran through a module in a CCNP course and wanted to build a custom CML lab in the sandbox to lab the material. After a bit of toying with it, I shook off most of the cobwebs and remembered how to reserve a lab, connect with VPN and point my browser at the CML server.

The issue I am having is I seem unable to add any nodes. I recall in the past I was able to create a lab and add nodes (up to the node limit), connect them, configure them etc. I am able to import the labs I created for my CCNA studies which I saved to my laptop. But when I create a lab nowadays, I see nothing that would allow me to add a node. I RTFM'd a little and think I am looking for something called the 'add nodes drawer' which is supposed to be open by default when you have no nodes in a lab topology.

Did Cisco remove the ability to add your own topology in the devnet sandbox ? Did an update occur and it does not like my browser or something? Am I blind and just not seeing where I am supposed to go? I am including a screencap of what I am seeing on the nodes tab of the workbench.

Thanks for any help you are able to provide!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Thanks for your help!  I decided to install a different browser.  It is the same setup I was using last year into January this year that worked, but maybe it is no longer supported. Google Chrome behaves as expected, so I am good to go!

To be clear - I could add labs, but I am unable to add any nodes to any labs, whether it be the pre-definied ones, a custom one I import, or a new one.

Here are some more clues.  Based on the timestamps of the lab topologies I saved after I completed CCNA, it looks like the last time I was using CML in DevNet was around January.  I suspect an update has occurred - because when I import one of the January labs, it says something in the logs about invalid image selections  At the very least - the images supported appear to have changed in the last 7 months.

For posterity, here is the setup I am currently running.

[sstetson@centy CCNP_LABS]$ cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS Linux release 7.9.2009

(Core)Installed Packages
firefox.x86_64 102.12.0-1.el7.centos @updates

I get that this is an older setup.  But in case anyone else has a similar setup and runs into issues....

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

I do not think anything has changed feature wise. I think that page you are on shows the nodes in the current topology. To add nodes, i click dashboard, add and drag the devices/nodes i want in.

From the 2.5 docs this is how nodes are added: https://developer.cisco.com/docs/modeling-labs/#!adding-nodes-to-a-lab

HTH

Please mark this as helpful or solution accepted to help others
Connect with me https://bigevilbeard.github.io

Thank you for the reply.  Yes - I had found the same link with instructions.  In my case - I am totally unable to find the 'drawer' which is supposed to be open by default in my case (no nodes in topology).  I feel like I have clicked on everything within the system, but find nothing that has any nodes that I can drag and drop onto my topology.  Here is a screen shot of my dashboard where you will note I have only this one lab - with no nodes.  Based on the instructions - from the dashboard I think I would click near the title 'basic testing lab' in my case.  That takes me to my workbench (lab info tab).  Try as I might - I can not find anything that will allow me to add nodes.

Its been a while for me here - toggle the show list to off, click add - when you click add the node list should appear from the right side? Unless like you said, with this username no new labs can be added?

Please mark this as helpful or solution accepted to help others
Connect with me https://bigevilbeard.github.io

Thanks for your help!  I decided to install a different browser.  It is the same setup I was using last year into January this year that worked, but maybe it is no longer supported. Google Chrome behaves as expected, so I am good to go!

To be clear - I could add labs, but I am unable to add any nodes to any labs, whether it be the pre-definied ones, a custom one I import, or a new one.

Here are some more clues.  Based on the timestamps of the lab topologies I saved after I completed CCNA, it looks like the last time I was using CML in DevNet was around January.  I suspect an update has occurred - because when I import one of the January labs, it says something in the logs about invalid image selections  At the very least - the images supported appear to have changed in the last 7 months.

For posterity, here is the setup I am currently running.

[sstetson@centy CCNP_LABS]$ cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS Linux release 7.9.2009

(Core)Installed Packages
firefox.x86_64 102.12.0-1.el7.centos @updates

I get that this is an older setup.  But in case anyone else has a similar setup and runs into issues....

Add Node.png

 Not sure if this is what you were looking for. I came across your thread as i was struggling on how to add nodes to my Lab, only to realize that it now comes in the form of an icon on the toolbar instead of the sidebar i was used too.