Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber cannot communicate with the server

Simon_New1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi sandbox management team,

I have reserved a Collaboration 10.5 Lab, and I have connected the VPN.

when I try to logon the Jabber, error message "Cannot communicate withe server" appears.

and it is the same when I specified the CUCM server by IP address.

How to resolve it?

Lab's private VPN connection information as bellows:

• Lab Network Address: devnetsandboxlabs.cisco.com/rave06
    • Username: Simon_New1

Simon

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jacoadam
Level 5
Level 5

Hello Simon,

Thanks for the inquiry! There are two things to check here:

1) Does the IP range of your local network overlap with the Sandbox? This will sometimes cause packets to be routed locally instead of the VPN. The Lab network is 10.10.20.x with a 255.255.255.0 subnet.

2) Try setting your Primary DNS server to 10.10.20.100 - the DNS in this sandbox. This will allow you to properly resolve the the Call Manager and Presence server. Try running the ping command against abc.inc and see what IP is returned.

Thanks!

Jacob

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

jacoadam
Level 5
Level 5

Hello Simon,

Thanks for the inquiry! There are two things to check here:

1) Does the IP range of your local network overlap with the Sandbox? This will sometimes cause packets to be routed locally instead of the VPN. The Lab network is 10.10.20.x with a 255.255.255.0 subnet.

2) Try setting your Primary DNS server to 10.10.20.100 - the DNS in this sandbox. This will allow you to properly resolve the the Call Manager and Presence server. Try running the ping command against abc.inc and see what IP is returned.

Thanks!

Jacob

I'm having the same problem on the Collaboration 11 lab, except that the 10.10.20.100 DNS server is not available.

I can't ping it when connected to the VPN, and when I log into one of the CUCM servers (10.10.20.1 for example), the home page displays the following in bold red: "WARNING: DNS unreachable"

I suspect there is a problem with the lab.

Hello Edward-

Thanks for bringing this to our attention and apologies for the delay in responding to your query. I have setup the lab and I cannot replicate the issue at this time. Please inform us if you see this issue again and we'll get it repaired.

Let us know if you any additional questions or need additional help!

Thanks!
Jacob

DevNet Sandbox Team

I found that if a PC was joined to the Domain it logged in correctly and if it was not it gave the error "cannot communicate with server".

Everything else on the PC was exactly the same - (DNS client config) etc.

If you entered an incorrect password it failed with a expected warning - so I knew communication with the CUCM was correct.

The Issue is that when the Jabber Client registers / log ins it uses what Cisco CUCM returns back to it which is the hostname of the server and not the FQDN of the server - this seems a design flaw and could be corrected by Cisco.

Clients joined to the domain (if the same domain as CUCM) will auto append the domain to the hostname and hence Jabber can find the server and 'communicate' If a PC is not joined to the domain it will not do this automatically.

To correct / workaround this issue:

Network Adapters -> Network Card -> Properties -> TCP/IPv4 -> Advanced -> DNS

Select "Add" on the "Append these DNS suffixes" and add the domain that CUCM uses, e.g. mydomain.com

Gerry

Thanks for our reply! I'll keep this in the back of my mind the next time this issue pops up!

Thanks!

Jacob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: