Views
Helpful
Replies

VIRL physical machine requirements and performances

abdel_n
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am thinking about purshasing a refurbished physical server for VIRL, but I have a couple of questions.

Here are the requirements provided on http://virl-dev-innovate.cisco.com/ :

• Four CPU cores and 8GB of DRAM, more resources allows for larger simulations
  • Intel VT-x / EPT or AMD-V / RVI virtualization extensions present and enabled in the BIOS
  • Directly on VMware Fusion, Workstation or Player also on ESXi 5.1U2 (Build 1483097) or ESXi 5.5U1 (Build 1623387)

Cannot find clear answer to these quastions:

• Will a CPU with VT-x feature, but not EPT, make the deal? (or CPU with AMD-V but not RVI)
  • From http://virl-dev-innovate.cisco.com/, I cannot find inf. about performance: How many IOSv, IOS XRv, NX-OSv, CSR1000v we can start in the same time?
  • At what extend can we prepare CCNA/CCNP DC or eventually CCIE DC with NX-OSv on VIRL?

Please let me know If I can forward these questions to more apropriate forum or maybe VIRL product manager.

AJ

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Geevarghese Cheria
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi AJ

Request to refer this pdf  for related information.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/cloud-systems-management/modeling-labs/q-and-a-c67-731850.pdf

What are the system requirements for Cisco Modeling Labs?

The Cisco Modeling Labs Server Corporate Edition requires a minimum of 16 GB and 4 CPU cores in a Linux server with VMware ESXi 5.1, or above, software. To take advantage of the scalability of the corporate edition, the Cisco Unified Computing System(Cisco UCS®) C220 M3 Rack Server (16-core CPU, 128 GB) is recommended for up to 40 virtual nodes, and the Cisco UCS C460 (40-core CPU, 256 GB) is recommended for more virtual-node simulations. The customer can choose to deploy with hardware other than the Cisco UCS; however, the performance of other brands of servers may not be the same as Cisco UCS.

Thanks and Regards,

Geevarghese

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Geevarghese Cheria
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi AJ

Request to refer this pdf  for related information.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/cloud-systems-management/modeling-labs/q-and-a-c67-731850.pdf

What are the system requirements for Cisco Modeling Labs?

The Cisco Modeling Labs Server Corporate Edition requires a minimum of 16 GB and 4 CPU cores in a Linux server with VMware ESXi 5.1, or above, software. To take advantage of the scalability of the corporate edition, the Cisco Unified Computing System(Cisco UCS®) C220 M3 Rack Server (16-core CPU, 128 GB) is recommended for up to 40 virtual nodes, and the Cisco UCS C460 (40-core CPU, 256 GB) is recommended for more virtual-node simulations. The customer can choose to deploy with hardware other than the Cisco UCS; however, the performance of other brands of servers may not be the same as Cisco UCS.

Thanks and Regards,

Geevarghese

Thanks Geevarghese for the information,

Though I have been answered, I must say I am very disappointed by Cisco response.

The corporate CML looks very interesting, but not VIRL at least the way it is presented to the community. I was expecting something more from Cisco to its community than that :

...without any formal usability support but rather community support. It does not provide patches for known problems

, no roadmap for future features, or training...

And almost ~$10,000 for the recommended CML HW: UCS C460 (40 core CPU, 256 GB).

gmachado11
Level 1
Level 1

Hi AJ,

With all my respects you have very good questions but you had vague answers.

It is very much appreciated an answer that is clear and direct to the point.

I want to take this reply opportunity to ask another question.

What if I want to use a LAPTOP to run the Cisco modeling application. What is the minimum requirement for a LAPTOP to run VIRL application? Is that am i5 3500 series or an i5 2600 series?  Please provide no vague answers.

Please be specific.

Thank you.

Gilson

To be honest, I am also confused what Laptop i should be having.  I am currently waiting for this Laptop:

20E2CTO1WWThinkPad W550s

- Intel Core i7-5600U Processor (4MB Cache, up to 3.20GHz)
- Windows 8.1 64
- Windows 8.1 64 - WE MUI
- 15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080), with WWAN
- NVIDIA Quadro K620M 2GB
- 16GB PC3-12800 DDR3L (1 SoDIMM)
- ThinkPad New Precision Backlit Keyboard with Number Pad UK English
- UltraNav (TrackPoint and TouchPad) with Fingerprint Reader
- 720p HD Camera
- 500GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm, 2.5"
- ThinkPad Battery 3 cell Li-Polymer (44Whr) Front
- ThinkPad Battery 3 cell Li-Ion (23.2Whr) Rear
- 65W AC Adapter - UK
- Intel 7265 AC/B/G/N Dual Band Wireless + Bluetooth Version 4.0
- Integrated Mobile Broadband upgradable
- Publication - WE (FR/GE/IT/DU/EN)
- 3 Year On-site
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: