cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN bandwidth capacity

msubby
Level 1
Level 1

We are trying to do some networking testing using the Collaboration 11.5 Sandbox to see how Jabber reacts to a constraint network. Without Jabber in the network, using a simple iperf, we are only able to achieve about 2Mbits of throughput between 2 clients. Is this a set limit or is there a way to use the VPN network with some higher capacities? We need about 6-7Mbits to truly test the limitations of what we are trying to achieve.

Does the DEVNET program have the ability for offline servers to be self-hosted?

Mathew

6 Replies 6

dstaudt
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

As Sandbox bandwidth constraints are probably difficult to greatly increase, as you suggest a local CUCM lab instance may be the way to go.  Some info on lab acquisition: Cisco DevNet: Collaboration - Labs

I've looked into that route and no collaboration bundles available at this time.

But getting back to my original question, what is the VPN capacity per user?

Mathew

Will let the Sandbox folks respond on current bandwidth...

(Access to the collab NFR bundle does requite Cisco Solutions Partner Program membership)

Mathew,

Our VPN bandwidth this determined by a number of factors i.e. number of concurrent users and application. We are also throttled by our own internal DMZ gateways so getting a fix on the BW per user is difficult.  One thing to check on this the video rate in the CUCM regional settings. Make sure they are set to max. Also, We do have an always on lab with Expressway MRA for Jabber. This allows jabber clients to register without VPN and would help with your issue.

It has always been our policy that if high quality video is required, we would help set you up with a VPN router that would physically on your side. It would have a permanent VPN connection to your sandbox but all media would be local i.e. now media flowing up and and down VPN tunnels.

Lets us know if any of the above are of interest to you.

Joe

How would it be possible to test out the Expressway MRA for Jabber always on lab? We simply require 2-3 accounts so we can test point to point video/audio (and maybe a conference call) since both clients would be on the same subnet, I'm assuming the A/V would then go local (point to point, true nature of SIP), is that correct?

Using the VPN has its drawbacks because each RTT from our location to the Devnet Sandbox right now is 120ms and when calling another client, that goes up to 240ms (both are connected over VPN to the same devnet sandbox).

Hi,

I have not worked on the MRA stuff in quiet a while but from what I recall expressway requires turn servers to be available for media. At the moment, the only turn server we have is located here on our expressway pair so media between two endpoints will traverse through our expressway E. If you want to try this sandbox anyway, do the following:

Access the DevNet Sandbox and filter on the Collaboration Category

Open the "Collaboration Endpoint" sandbox

Reserve for the default time (30mins). The duration does not really matter. It just kickstarts the scripting you will use later.

Once the reservation is Active, goto the commands section on the RHS and look for "Add_Jabber_for_Windows_Mac". Click on the blue arrow. The script will kick off and last a few minutes. You can monitor progress by clicking on the "Output" button on the page.

You will then be provided with credentials to login with jabber. {username}@jabber-sandbox.cisco.com. then enter your password. For more information on this look for the Expressway tab in the instructions pane.

If you need to create another user, just click on the command button again. if your 30 mins runs out and you need to create more, just reserve the lab again.

The credentials provided to you are always on.  You can use them anytime.

If you have issues, let us know.

Joe