cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco DNA center vs Cisco Prime

mina.zeinali
Level 1
Level 1

I have a problem with ordering WLCs licenses in SD-access. Is it necessary to order cisco prime in sd-access structure for wireless? If yes, why? doesnt DNA center monitor and manage wireless controllers? If no, why does DNA advantage for WLCs include cisco prime licenses?

I wonder if anyone could help me.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

DNA Center can monitor and manage WLC’s. DNAC is evolved from prime and APIC-EM. To monitor and manage wireless infrastructure ( WLC’s) , it uses prime code. There are many features which are ported to DNAC for wireless. That could be the technical reason why we have prime licence included in DNA advantage.
It is mentioned in ordering guide for SD-Access also.
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/solutions/collateral/enterprise-networks/software-defined-access/guide-c07-739242.html

“Cisco DNA Advantage for Wireless includes term-based AP license and Cisco Prime Infrastructure.”

View solution in original post

Yes, technically it's not needed. However, i do not think that you have an option to remove it as part of DNA Advantage. Please contact sales/cisco account team for modification of the licence. 

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

syrehan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

DNA center and Cisco Prime Infrastructure are two completely different platforms. I am not sure where are you getting the information to include prime licenses. Can you please share any additional information to support your question? 

Thanks for your reply.

I want to order WLC for my SD-Access structure. According to SD-Access ordering guide, I must order DNA Advantage license for every AP. when I select DNA advantage subscription for WLC in cisco build & price, it includes DNA advantage, DNA essentials, one AP license and one cisco prime license. My question is why it includes cisco prime license? Do we use DNA center for managing and monitoring WLCs? If yes, why does DNA advantage include cisco prime license?

DNA Center can monitor and manage WLC’s. DNAC is evolved from prime and APIC-EM. To monitor and manage wireless infrastructure ( WLC’s) , it uses prime code. There are many features which are ported to DNAC for wireless. That could be the technical reason why we have prime licence included in DNA advantage.
It is mentioned in ordering guide for SD-Access also.
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/solutions/collateral/enterprise-networks/software-defined-access/guide-c07-739242.html

“Cisco DNA Advantage for Wireless includes term-based AP license and Cisco Prime Infrastructure.”

so, we dont need to order cisco prime infrastructure. Is it correct? and I have another question. If I have 100 AP, do I have to order 2 WLC and 100 DNA advantage subscription?

Yes, technically it's not needed. However, i do not think that you have an option to remove it as part of DNA Advantage. Please contact sales/cisco account team for modification of the licence. 

In the very same URL which Gaur has shared, it says that for SD-Access Cisco Prime Infrastructure is not required in the note for point 3 from the top.

In CCW if you were referring to "PI-LFAS-AP-T" then it is an included component mentioned as "IC". For AP licenses depends upon the wlc type you have ordered. Apart from wlc 3504 which supports 150 APs, wlc 5520 (1500 APs) and wlc 8540 (6000 APs) respectively.

Thank you very much for your helpful guidance.

You're welcome.