Views
Helpful
Replies

Fiber ports on DN1-HW-APL

rretanag099
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Looking at the installation guide for DNA Center Appliance, in a standalone deployment, there are three requiered network connections:

1. First 10Gb port in the Virtual Interface Card (VIC) 1227 (enp9s0) --> To Enterprise Network

2. First embedded 1Gb interface (enp1s0f0): --> MGMT Network

3. Second embedded 1Gb interface (enp1s0f1): --> Static Routes or Internet Proxy.

Those three plus CIMC.

My question : Is possible to avoid using 1 and 3 options, and integrate all DNA functions in option 2, where   Network communication, Mgmt and Internet access can be reached from enp1s0f0? I have a scenario with a lack of 10G ports, so exploring the posibility of using just two 1 Gbps cooper connections from DNA Center ( enp1s0f0 + CIMC)

Thanks.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Gaur Samal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It depends on the scale of your enterprise network ( number of nodes and end points). 

we have seen issues where if you use 1G port for all functions, DNAC performance is impacted due to load when we have large number of nodes connected to DNAC. 

It would be highly recommended to use 10G port to avoid any performance issues in future with DNAC.

View solution in original post

Farhan Mohamed
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

To be honest one VIC interface that is 10 gig port (enp9s0) is required for connectivity to the Enterprise network that would be required because there will be huge data traffic will be flowing across this 10 gig link to provide data analytics to DNA center appliance for which it will be collected in streaming telemetry. What if your network expands, that is why Cisco recommends use of this link.

You can go ahead and order 10 gb ports as these are not provided by default.

Using 1 gig option you want will create bottlenecks and we all hate that. Also option Second embedded 1Gb interface (enp1s0f1) the port reserved for static routes and for internet proxy is also used for cloud update connectivity, it is used when direct internet access is not available but also used to receive patch updates from cloud urls.

So, in order to have segregated functions each port is used separately for different purposes.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Gaur Samal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It depends on the scale of your enterprise network ( number of nodes and end points). 

we have seen issues where if you use 1G port for all functions, DNAC performance is impacted due to load when we have large number of nodes connected to DNAC. 

It would be highly recommended to use 10G port to avoid any performance issues in future with DNAC.

Thanks Gaur. I will take your advice.

Farhan Mohamed
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

To be honest one VIC interface that is 10 gig port (enp9s0) is required for connectivity to the Enterprise network that would be required because there will be huge data traffic will be flowing across this 10 gig link to provide data analytics to DNA center appliance for which it will be collected in streaming telemetry. What if your network expands, that is why Cisco recommends use of this link.

You can go ahead and order 10 gb ports as these are not provided by default.

Using 1 gig option you want will create bottlenecks and we all hate that. Also option Second embedded 1Gb interface (enp1s0f1) the port reserved for static routes and for internet proxy is also used for cloud update connectivity, it is used when direct internet access is not available but also used to receive patch updates from cloud urls.

So, in order to have segregated functions each port is used separately for different purposes.

rsinger
Level 1
Level 1
Will the 10 gig ports support the CU cables?

Yes, its supported.

Hi @Gaur Samal

Our DNAC appliance has not arrived yet but I am making plans to integrate it into our existing LAN. 

We are only getting one appliance to begin with (one node cluster).

We don't have any 10Gbps capable switch ports.

I have read everywhere that 1Gbps connections are supported but I cannot see the supported SFP in the Installation Guide.  It only mentions the copper 10Gbps SFP types.  Is there support for copper 1Gbps (e.g. SFP-T or SFP-GLT) ?

thanks

Arne

Hi Arne,

DNA Center has 2 dedicated 1 Gig ports available and you do not need SFP to connect to it.

Thanks,
Gaur

Hi @Gaur Samal

thanks for the response.

I can use the 1Gbps for CIMC OOB management as usual.  That's clear now.

I can use the 1Gbps (enp1s0f0) to manage the application (ssh/https to the DNAC GUI).

But:  Can I manage the DNAC application as well as discover my network through this enp1s0f0 (1Gbps) interface?   I thought the Enterprise Port (enp9s0) was mandatory for this discovery/connection to my network?  The documentation is quite insistent on that point, as well as all the Cisco training videos I have watched. 

thanks for clarifying this point.

regards

Arne

Hi Arne,

DNA Center appliance has dedicated 1 Gig port form CIMC.
Except that we have 2 more 1 Gig interfaces which can used for management and fabric enterprise connectivity purposes.
Please refer to section : Figure 2. Rear Panel, Cisco DNA Center Appliance (DN1-HW-APL)
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/cloud-systems-management/network-automation-and-management/dna-center/1-1/install/b_dnac_install_1_1_0P2/b_dnac_install_1_1_0P2_chapter_00.html

regarding query if 1Gig can be used for enterprise fabric connectivity, yes it can be used. However, beware that performance can be impacted as the total bandwidth is limited.
Cisco recommends 10Gig interface so that large amount of traffic should not be a problem between DNAC and enterprise network. If you have large scale enterprise network and plan to go to SDA network, it is best to use 10Gig interface or else we can use 1 Gig interface.

Note: The descriptions are off on port diagrams under Figure 2. Rear Panel, Cisco DNA Center Appliance (DN1-HW-APL) <in other words #'s do not match physical interfaces>

Please take a look at my worksheet here.  I explain the DNAC Network Adapters and their purpose.

Technote of the Day (TOTD) - DNAC IP Address Planning Worksheet

https://community.cisco.com/t5/network-architecture-documents/totd-dnac-ip-address-planning-worksheet/ta-p/3695458

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: