cancelar
Mostrando los resultados de 
Buscar en lugar de 
Quiere decir: 
cancel
Visitas
ÚTIL
Respuestas

MA-B11-N7-DEV-11-DEV-15 %ARP-3-INVAL_HDR_HRD_TYPE: arp [16329] Found incorrect hardware type in ARP header: 6

Gilberto Marcos
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.

I have a solution using Nexus 7010.

There is an OSA mainframe connected to it.

During normal operation we see this message:

MA-B11-N7-DEV-11-DEV-15 %ARP-3-INVAL_HDR_HRD_TYPE:  arp [16329]  Found incorrect hardware type in ARP header: 6

I have searched for this error and I Found that there should be no issue on it, and also the documentation says that no action should be taken.

The customer is concern about this message. We would like to know if some one has found a work around in order to solve this.

We also would like to know if there is a way to change the ethernet port encapsulation in order to match the one used int the OSA mainframe.

Regards.

1 SOLUCIÓN ACEPTADA

Soluciones aceptadas

Hi Gilberto,

There is not a way to change this from the N7k interface. The problem is that the OSA is using  another value for Hardware type. But since this is not an error from neither side, we could change the logging level for ARP in the Nexus, by this we can stop seeing the messages.

N7K1(config)#  logging level arp 2

This way you will no longer see these messages.

Regards!

-Enrique

Ver la solución en mensaje original publicado

4 RESPUESTAS 4

jeestrad
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Gilberto,

From the log entry i could see the Nexus is detecting ARP traffic generated with an ARP header value on Hardware type of 6, from the protocol definition, this field defines the type of Link layer Protocol used:

http://www.iana.org/assignments/arp-parameters/arp-parameters.xhtml#arp-parameters-2

The value on this field expected by the Nexus is 1 (Ethernet) but is receiving a value of 6 (IEEE 802 Networks), hence the log seen. In the link provided you can see the definition for each value.

Hello jeestrad.

Thank you for your answer.

The thing is that the customer does not want to see those message on the Nexus switch.

I am wondering if there could be a way to change the encapsulation in the interface of the Nexus in order to match the one used by the IBM OSA.

Regards

Hi Gilberto,

There is not a way to change this from the N7k interface. The problem is that the OSA is using  another value for Hardware type. But since this is not an error from neither side, we could change the logging level for ARP in the Nexus, by this we can stop seeing the messages.

N7K1(config)#  logging level arp 2

This way you will no longer see these messages.

Regards!

-Enrique

Thank you very much for your help.