Views
Helpful
Replies

Anti-Spam threshold impact

sysresuem
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

In this documentation about ESA   https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/email-security-appliance/118220-technote-esa-00.html#:~:text=Reduce%20Suspected%20Spam%20Threshold%20to,at%20the%20'suspect'%20threshold

It is recommended to modify threshold of anti-spam: 

1. Reduce Suspected Spam Threshold to 40 (default is 50) if false-positives are not a concern at the 'suspect' threshold.

Is threre a way to identify with ESA interface which mails would have been categorized as spam with this modification ?

The goal is to evaluate the impact before set up the modification.

Reagrds

Guillaume

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

UdupiKrishna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

As @Octavian Szolga mentioned, there's no way for administrators of ESA to identify the actual score determined by antispam engine.

TAC will generally have visibility to scores as long as the email message has x-ipas-result or x-antispam-result headers.

The best way is to just monitor for emails that are caught as suspected spam and verify if there are any false positives.

You can setup the antispam policy for suspected spam as "deliver", add a header when it matches and use a content filter, setup a notify action whenever the header is matched.

or

just navigate to message tracking, under advanced options check box "suspected spam" and look for emails that were caught, this should provide visibility to any ongoing false positives.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Octavian Szolga
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Guillaume,

I don't think you can.
I don't remember seeing anywhere in ESA the CASE/spam points that a mail gets, so I don't see how you'd be able to tell which mail would have been identified as spam based on your spam score changes.

Just go with your changes and monitor your spam quarantine if this is the action you're setting in your incoming mail policies or use specific search queries (positive spam/suspected spam on specific time frame) to compare before and after.

BR,

Octavian

UdupiKrishna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

As @Octavian Szolga mentioned, there's no way for administrators of ESA to identify the actual score determined by antispam engine.

TAC will generally have visibility to scores as long as the email message has x-ipas-result or x-antispam-result headers.

The best way is to just monitor for emails that are caught as suspected spam and verify if there are any false positives.

You can setup the antispam policy for suspected spam as "deliver", add a header when it matches and use a content filter, setup a notify action whenever the header is matched.

or

just navigate to message tracking, under advanced options check box "suspected spam" and look for emails that were caught, this should provide visibility to any ongoing false positives.

Hi,

Ok thanks for the help. I thank there was an "esiest" way to check before modify the spam policy.

You're right, for the moment I put in quarantine spam and suspected spam.

I just have to increase sensibility for spam from 90 to 50 and suspected spam from 50 to 40 with a special header to easy identify them.

Thanks both