Views
Helpful
Replies

Block bounced emails

dijeshkeloth
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have a cisco esa that sends emails and the bounced emails are received by another esa appliance. We would like to drop these bounced emails. Can we do it through bounce verification feature or is there another alternate way?

Thanks,

5 Replies 5

Joe Allesi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I use the Global Unsubscribe feature. Bounces to any hostnames in the table will be dropped, if desired, and a count will be logged in 'status detail'.

> help unsub

unsubscribe new <entry>
unsubscribe delete <entry>
unsubscribe enable
unsubscribe disable
unsubscribe import <filename>
unsubscribe export <filename>
unsubscribe clear
unsubscribe print
unsubscribe dropmatches
unsubscribe bouncematches

Update the global unsubscribe list.

entry - The email, hostname, username, IP or IPv6 address you want to update.

Actions are also recorded mail_logs like the following:

Thu Apr 18 15:36:01 2019 Info: MID 260612174 Global unsubscribe matched entry @hostname RID 0 Address mailer-daemon@hostname Action dropped

Hi,

Thanks for your answer, but this will cause all bounced emails from a domain to be dropped. I would like to have genuine emails to get through 

Thanks,

this will cause all bounced emails from a domain to be dropped

Unsubscribe only acts on recipients, not senders from a domain. While it depends upon your particular situation, Delivery Status Notifications are sent by ESAs using the default MAILER-DAEMON@ESA-HOSTNAME.DOMAINNAME. In my situation, my ESAs should never accept mail or take any other action on mail that is destined To @ ESA-HOSTNAME.DOMAINNAME, which typically includes bounces generated by an ESA yet they are redirected back To an ESA due to an autoreply, etc.

unsub.jpg

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your answer. We have an ESA (ESA1) dedicated for sending out emails. Another ESA (ESA2) as well dedicated for sending and receiving emails. Any email from ESA1 that gets bounced will be received by ESA2. So, if I use the global unsubscribe feature, will it not cause the bounced emails from ESA2 to be dropped as well?

Thanks,

Just keep it simple.

You know the sender of Delivery Failures is null

You know the recipient as that was the original Envelope From

Create a Policy for the Recipient

Create a Content Filter with Condition

Envelope Sender Contains ^$

(Delivery Failures, Out of Office)

Action - Drop ( or quarantine to start with )

Apply the Content Filter to the Policy

Reuse the Content Filter on other Policies where some accounts want to be protected from Delivery Failure messages.