cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Email Security Plug-In - New version 7.5.2 available

Jason Meyer
Level 1
Level 1

Just a FYI that Cisco released 7.5.2 of the Outlook Plugin software and if you have the default install done all of your end users will get a pop up telling them that a new version is available.

The Download link just takes them to a Cisco software download page, the user needs to login with a Cisco ID, have a contract number to download the software.    

Two complaints:

What's new in this Version isn't used for what's new in this version, just talks about the same link the 'Download' button has.

Most end users are not going to have a Cisco ID or a contract number to download the software.

Resolution:

Looks like this can be controlled with the C:\ProgramData\Cisco\Cisco IronPort Email Security Plug-In\username\CommonCompnentsConfig.xml file and setting

<checkForUpdates>

<checkAutomatically display="hidden">true</checkAutomatically>

<ignoredVersion>7.5.2</ignoredVersion>

<serverURL>http://updates.res.cisco.com</serverURL>

</checkForUpdates>

checkAutomatically to a false value.

15 Replies 15

Robert Sherwin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Also - this is included in the BCE XML setup --- so, it can be disabled as well from the original BCE_Config_signed.xml:

<!-- Check for update for the plugin -->
<checkForUpdates>
<checkAutomatically display="hidden">true</checkAutomatically>
</checkForUpdates>

In order to turn the update notification feature off, this would have to be included and already loaded with the settings made to be:

<!-- Check for update for the plugin -->
<checkForUpdates>
<checkAutomatically display="hidden">false</checkAutomatically>
</checkForUpdates>

-Robert

In order to manually check for updates then... if you have surpressed based on above...

File > Options > Add-Ins > click Cisco Email Security Plug-in > Add-in Options...

Then click About...

Still will run the check.

I'll submit ENH into getting the "What's New" to actually match w/ what is new, in addition to "How-to" download...

As indicated from my announcement post:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/announcement/12918316/gd-availability-cisco-ironport-email-security-plug-version-752-009

Robert, a related question.  With the new plug-in users get a prompt:

Can this also be controlled with the signed XML file?  I don't find anything.

How do I control that setting for 20k users?

I'll see what I can find out per this query/example...

This just hit us...it looks like a year after everyone else!  Is this still the fix?

Add the following lines to your CommonComponentsConfig.xml file. I put right under the Java path line but I don't think the placement matters. The 7.5.1 documentation has a piece about this but not all the lines you need. The first line disables it completely so a person can't turn back on in the plug-in. The second line disables sending the data. Adding just the first line will stop it from prompting to begin with but I added the second line just to be safe since if you don't it's set to true in the user's final XML file.

<callHome>
    <callHomeAdminEnabled>false</callHomeAdminEnabled>
    <callHomeEnabled>false</callHomeEnabled>
  </callHome>

Yes, this is correct.  

From mine - I edited the C:\ProgramData\Cisco\Cisco IronPort Email Security Plug-In\<USERID>\CommonComponentsConfig:

<callHome>
<lastSendDate>2/18/2016</lastSendDate>
<lastSendPluginVersion>7.5.0.95</lastSendPluginVersion>
</callHome>

And then also:

edited the C:\ProgramData\Cisco\Cisco IronPort Email Security Plug-In\<USERID>\config_1:

<callHome>
<callHomeEnabled>False</callHomeEnabled>
</callHome>

This would correspond in the editing of the original BCE XML as well.

-Robert

The only issue with the XML lines you posted is if you don't include "    <callHomeAdminEnabled>false</callHomeAdminEnabled>" in the CommonComponentsConfig.xml file when distributing with the client install then users are still prompted when launching Outlook the first time. The difference from a default install is the checkbox is unchecked if you have the <callHomeEnabled>False</callHomeEnabled> line in the file.

I am trying to deploy 7.5.2.009 and I have added this to the CommonComponentsConfig.xml:

<callHome>
<callHomeAdminEnabled>false</callHomeAdminEnabled>
<lastSendDate />
<lastSendPluginVersion>7.5.2.9</lastSendPluginVersion>
</callHome>

I have also added this to the config_1.xml:

<callHome>
<callHomeEnabled>False</callHomeEnabled>
</callHome>

Deploying this through SCCM using an install script:

"%~dp0Source\CiscoEmailSecurity-7-5-2-009.exe" /exenoui /qn UseCustomConfig="%~dp0Source\config"

I am still receiving the anonymous usage prompt when Outlook first starts up shown in the above thread.

Any ideas on how to get this to work properly for deployment? I cannot seem to disable/remove the first time usage popup.

My config XML files have "<checkAutomatically display="hidden">false</checkAutomatically>" in them, and always have, but the notification still appears. Very frustrating as I'm getting tons of calls about this today. In order to disable the update window I had to block access to http://updates.res.cisco.com in my WSA.

From Cisco side - we have disabled the download option on the updates server side, this should prevent end-users from seeing pop-up notifications.  For future needs, only CRES admins will receive notification of new plug-in releases, in order to better plan and facilitate new version rollouts.

-Robert

Thank you. Much better idea than having end users get a notification for a version that just came out a day earlier and had no release notes that day. The compatibility matrix had been updated so I at least had some idea of what was new.

Robert Sherwin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Changes to the CommonComponentsConfig file will revert to "true" with each Outlook stop/restart.  This is the overall app config...

This actually needs to be modified for the user profile in the config_1.xml:

C:\ProgramData\Cisco\Cisco IronPort Email Security Plug-In\<<<USER ID>>>

From within config_1.xml, should be edited to be:

This will remain persistent.

Or - you'll need to make the modification to the signed BCE XML and re-deploy that file to user(s) either via encrypted message & normal un-encrypt deployment, or manually copy the signed BCE to the user's config_1.xml path.  (Stop and restart of Outlook required.)

-Robert

I have a question related to the config_1.xml files.

How do you edit them for a large amount of users?

For example, we have made our own customized config_1 and CommonComponentsConfig files. 

And, we want to mass install the Outlook Plugin on many workstations.

How do we get the installer to make use of the updated config files?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: